SAAMI Hybrid Hunting, 7mm 168gr

Thanks for the tip. I have been wondering when they would make any 168 hybrids. Surprised to see they are hunting versions. I immediately ordered two boxes before they are out of stock. Just in time for the fall hunts.

Thanks for the tip. I have been wondering when they would make any 168 hybrids. Surprised to see they are hunting versions. I immediately ordered two boxes before they are out of stock. Just in time for the fall hunts.

I ordered a box too. Surprised me as well, I saw them I though huh/ wait what when did these come out? The deal sealer was that Matrix ballistics added $20 to their shipping. Oh well need to get some other things from midway anyway may as well give these a whirl. Berger must like surprising us once in a while. :)

So after the initial test with this new bullet, I shot the following loads

Nosler cases, CCI250 primers, seated 0.020" off the lands, H1000 fired at 200yrds 5shot groups

70gr produced 1"

70.5 produce 1.5"

71gr produced 3/4" (including the flier that opened it up, the rest what touching):cool:

no pressure signs what so ever :)

Joe,

What chambering? 7 Rem mag?

I just began loading this new bullet in a 284 win. The SA Ruger has a 3.070" magazine. I am working with 3.005" OAL and kissing the rifling. Used RL-17, and moly on the bullets. 23" barrel velocities worked up to highest charge with no pressure signs of 57 grs for vel of 3080. Most accurate load was 1 MOA at 100 yds with 56.5 grs vel 3030. Next session will try deeper seating depths.

Joe,

What chambering? 7 Rem mag?

I just began loading this new bullet in a 284 win. The SA Ruger has a 3.070" magazine. I am working with 3.005" OAL and kissing the rifling. Used RL-17, and moly on the bullets. 23" barrel velocities worked up to highest charge with no pressure signs of 57 grs for vel of 3080. Most accurate load was 1 MOA at 100 yds with 56.5 grs vel 3030. Next session will try deeper seating depths.

yup 7mag, I was tickled to find hybrids so soon, with how these are supposed to be designed I might eve be able to use my magazine again:cool:

I got some of the 6mm's. From what I can tell they do not have the compound ogive. I did not have any way to physically measure them, however when looking at them compared to a 105gr. 6mm VLD they defenitely have a smaller radius on the ogive. It looked to me to be very close to the 90gr. Scenars.

With that said, I shot them out of a stock .243 win. Rem 700. The barrel doesn't float and it is not pillared or glass beded. Still with 44.7 gr. IMR 4350 at 400 yds. it put 4 shots into a 1.5x3 inch group. I think that some of the horizontal was from the wind gusting from 3-10 and changing directions alot, and I'm not that good at reading it! :D So, I would say that they do shoot pretty well!

Anyways, I was curious if anyone has compared the ogives of these as I did with some other bullets?

Seen this post the other day immediately ordered a box, shot them in my HS Precision STW that has a clip, built a few and used same load that i had with my vld's and went from 1 moa to well under a half moa looks like a great additon for us, thanks again Berger for another great product, cant wait to test them on game

Joe,

What kind of MV's were you getting with the 7 mag and what length barrel and twist. I have a Hart 26", 9 twist. Never could get the standard VLD's to shoot, but I hear that the Hybrids are not as finicky. Sounds like your loads are spot on.

Thanks,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.