168gr Berger hunting vld 7mm question

Brambles

In an effort to turn my 280ai lightweight custom into a more versatile elk/Mulie rifle I have replaced the vx3 3.5-10 b&c with a Vortex HS-t 4-16x44

I also am replacing my load which is a 140tsx @ an accurate 3080fps with an undetermined load with a 168 Berger hunting vld...my barrel is 23.125" long but figure my velocity should be between 2800-2900 fps.

Being from British Columbia I hunt a very wet and timbered area, but with lots of mountains so cross canyon shots are a possibility.

I'm Leary about the performance on an elk in the 20 yard-100 yard distances but since I'm not sending them at 3200 fps like some of the bigger magnums maybe there's a chance they will stay together well enough at the closer distances.....I'm a lung shooter, but in the timber it's a good chance a close range frontal shot is presented or high neck shot.

If I need to run a two bullet system I will, in that event I will probably give Matrix a call for a bonded 168 gr pill.

Hopefully some of you fellas have had some close encounters with elk..

Thanks

After noon Brambles, This was my 1st year of using 168 vld berger, I only shoot white tail, but I filled my 2 tags in 2 shots one at 185 yds nice mature 8 point, the other was my doe at 325 yds , and both fell instantly with not even a dying twitch, from 7mag at 3050 fps muzzle speed, I will never use any other bullet in my deer rifle, my other gun I use 140 vld's and I had one mature buck go 80 yds, so I guess u know I'm sold on these bullets. I don't think you can find a better hunting bullet, Hope this helps.

I have used the 168VLD Hunting bullet for Roosevelt Elk here in Oregon. My 7mag launches them at 3020fps. 30yd shot in the timber broadside through the lungs was a DRT with liquified internals...bullet passed through and left a fist sized hole on the off side.
The Best of the West guys many years ago did a demonstration with them shooting through large beef bones and they worked well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts