Berger VLD Hunting- first hand experience with 168gr. ?

Troutslayer2

I have found these bullets to shoot very well for me in 7MM. I am thinking about trying to take some game with them, probably pushing them around 3000 at the muzzle. Has anyone ever shot anything with them? Their philosophy on going 12" deep before expansion kind of worries me, what if I shoot a small deer at close range? I am wanting to shoot this bullet at mostly deer, but also probably elk. Anyone ever take an animal with one and how did it perform?

I have found these bullets to shoot very well for me in 7MM. I am thinking about trying to take some game with them, probably pushing them around 3000 at the muzzle. Has anyone ever shot anything with them? Their philosophy on going 12" deep before expansion kind of worries me, what if I shoot a small deer at close range? I am wanting to shoot this bullet at mostly deer, but also probably elk. Anyone ever take an animal with one and how did it perform?

Berger advertises a 2-3 in penetration before they explode, I don't shoot a 7mm but in everything else I shoot they do just that for the most part.

i agree with bigngreen its 2-4 inches before the expansion. I have shot several animals with my 7mm STW with the 168 Berger and i would not even consider another bullet for this rifle. I killed a Doe last year at 580 yards she went right down. You cant go wrong with these bullets if you can get them to shoot.

I used the 168 vld in my 300wtby to take 3 whitetails at 275, 300 and 525yds and have never seen better performance and great short blood trails before. They created a 2" wound channel and created a tremendous amout of blood loss.

Hi,

I just came from 3 days hunting trip, and I used my new rig 7mm rem magnum with 168 VLD Match bullet
I shot 2 dows in less then 5 min apart. one at 550yrds, and another at 150yrds.
first doew (550yrs) shot on spine = DIRT.
THE SECOND I tocked neck shot, close to the base of the ches - she run 40 yrds, and expired.
I miss the neck spine with 2 inch, cutting the jugular and the arther - lots of blod loss.

From what I experienced first time shooting 168VLD Match bullets on deer - I LOVE THEM.
next week i will go again and I will tried boiler room hit with 168 VLD and see how they will perform.

I've found the Bergers to work very well within a given window. They perform as advertised as long as the velocity is up to approx. 2500' or more. Less than that and they pencil thru depending of course on how much resistance they encounter. I would aim for the shoulder at longer range sand give the bullet a better chance to expand....Rich

I shoot em at only 2800fps, very accurate in my gun too. Killed 2 cow elk (450, 270 yards) and an antelope (290 yards). The elk at 450 was a high shoulder shot. It turned the heart and half a lung to stew and still exited the opposite shoulder (or some of it did). It exited the antelope with a 1 inch hole, similar to what a tougher bullet might do. I've only used them for one hunting season but none of the game even took a step. I don't plan on using anything else in my 7 mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.