Running in a scope?

earplay

I just read an interesting magazine article here in NZ, suggesting that new scopes need ´running in´ similar to breaking in a barrel. The theory is that new scopes may have minor burrs on threads or small buildups of grease etc when fresh from the factory. The author suggested these mimor factors can cause a scope not to adjust precisely without either running past and then back to the desired dial or lightly tapping the scope after adjustments are made to settle reticle fully.

He suggested the best method was to take a new scope and run through the full range of adjustment approx. 30 times prior to mounting. This included the windage/elevation dials, parallax and zoom rings.

Can anyone else verify similar findings or heard anything similar? I am hoping to get a new scope soon and figure running the adjustments back and forth a few times can´t hurt?

I have to admit that I do this...but, not intentionally. By the time I get finished "playing with it" then checking the adjustments about a dozen times it should be broken in pretty well.:D

Yes, it's a good idea. New scopes with turrets get run in for windage and elevation. I usually do it 10-20 times. Also, when mounting the scope on the rifle I use a collimator with 4 MOA calibrations to do a cursory check on Reticle movement. A couple of years ago discovered a new Leupold 6x20 target turret that lost movement in the higher elevation range and sent the scope back for repair before finding out at the range. Also had a MK 4 that lost clicks in the mid elevation range. A buddy turned me on to this some years ago claiming that the lubricant needed to be evenly distributed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.