Ruger Precision New Build advice

razakain

Hello all,
I have a new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmoor on the way. I am going to be using it for my initial foray into long range shooting with something other than a hunting rifle. I currently use a Icon with Zeiss HD5 out to 500 yards in .308. I have a private range for practice and want a good starting point. This rifle will also be used for whitetail deer and hog hunting, and an occasional elk/antelope trip.
I am trying to decide on the scope I want to use. I am in between the SHV 5-20x56, a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50, and any other scopes around $1,100.00. I cannot go above that, so please no recommendations for NXS, Bushnell Elites, Victory, whatever else. I hope to step up to those one day but it would just lead to analysis paralysis and wishful thinking at this point.
I like the SHV except for the capped turrets. I have a HD5 now and love it and especially love the target turrets, but that is on my hunting rifle and I am not sure how it will do at longer ranges. I was also thinking about stepping up to a 30mm tube over the 1 inch, which the SHV would let me do. I have looked at the Burris XTR II but I do not want an illuminated reticle and that is all they have.
Also, when you mention a scope, please give me an estimate on what height ring would be necessary on this AR-style rifle. I like to keep my scopes low but I think high rings will be necessary from all my other research, so if mediums have worked for you , let me know. Thank you, all. After all my research, I realized I had to bring it to the experts to help tip the balance.

Hello all,
I have a new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmoor on the way. I am going to be using it for my initial foray into long range shooting with something other than a hunting rifle. I currently use a Icon with Zeiss HD5 out to 500 yards in .308. I have a private range for practice and want a good starting point. This rifle will also be used for whitetail deer and hog hunting, and an occasional elk/antelope trip.
I am trying to decide on the scope I want to use. I am in between the SHV 5-20x56, a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50, and any other scopes around $1,100.00. I cannot go above that, so please no recommendations for NXS, Bushnell Elites, Victory, whatever else. I hope to step up to those one day but it would just lead to analysis paralysis and wishful thinking at this point.
I like the SHV except for the capped turrets. I have a HD5 now and love it and especially love the target turrets, but that is on my hunting rifle and I am not sure how it will do at longer ranges. I was also thinking about stepping up to a 30mm tube over the 1 inch, which the SHV would let me do. I have looked at the Burris XTR II but I do not want an illuminated reticle and that is all they have.
Also, when you mention a scope, please give me an estimate on what height ring would be necessary on this AR-style rifle. I like to keep my scopes low but I think high rings will be necessary from all my other research, so if mediums have worked for you , let me know. Thank you, all. After all my research, I realized I had to bring it to the experts to help tip the balance.

I have RPR in 243 and put a Vortex PST 6x24 , I like it alot. I have one on another rifle I have. I don't use the lighted illuminated reticle much but it is there if I need it, It is within your price range. The Vortex HS-T is what I was going to get but everybody was out of them when I needed it. The vortex Extra High rings will give you about 1/2" clearance above the Rail. With a 50mm. scope

I know you said no Bushnell Elites but you can get a Bushnell LRHS for about $1K street price and it is a fantastic scope. You'd be making a mistake to not at least do a little research and consider an LRHS.

As far as pure value, hard to beat the SWFA SS scopes. They track great, hold zero, return to zero and you could drive tent stakes with them if you were so inclined.

John

Thank you both. I will continue my research now. I had looked at the Vortex scopes and looked at them hard and I hear mostly positive reviews. The thing that most of the reviews kept noting on forums (after reading tons of other reviews) was that it had glass just a good as Nightforce, or this or that just as good as Nightforce. It made me think, "Well, why not just get a Nightforce and not worry about it?" Especially if the Nightforce is in my price range. The biggest advantage of the Vortex are the uncapped target turrets. My Zeiss has spoiled me with those. I will be looking into the Bushnells post haste.

Shawn

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.