6.5x284 Custom Build Advice

Mtnfresh

Hello,

I just purchased a new Remington 700 ADL to build off the action. Wanting to build a 6.5x284.

I am looking for a good Long Range Hunting setup that can get out to 1000 yards but trying to keep the weight down for those long hikes chasing the elk here in Montana.

Any build suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first custom build so I don't have much experience.

Budget $2500 or so.

Thanks for any guidance or advice.

Ty-

Welcome Ty-

You are about to have entirely too much fun. I just finished my first DIY rifle, on a Savage 111. You have a Rem 700, but no matter. The reason I chose Savage was the barrel nut lets me install and headspace the new barrel myself, no machine shop needed. There are several companies that will make you a pre-fit barrel with a "rem-nut" set up so you can do the same if so inclined. For your budget, you can get a PacNor prefit barrel ready to install, a replacement trigger (if you don't like the factory version), a laminated stock from Boyd's or someone like them, muzzle brake (you said you want a lighter rifle, for me a brake is mandatory in anything that can reach 1000yds), mounts and rings and still have a decent amount for a good scope. As a point of reference, my savage 111 with 26inch PacNor 6contour fluted barrel in 280AI, Boyd's Tacticool stock with Limbsaver, JP Brake (installed using a jam nut to time it, again no machine shop needed), EGW 20MOA rail, Burris Zee rings, and Vortex Viper HSLR FFP scope tips the scales at 12 pounds exactly, unloaded. Go down another contour if you must to save weight, or get a lighter (and more expensive) synthetic stock. My total outlay in components (after buying the donor rifle and before buying the scope) came to $1075. The tools needed: barrel nut wrench and barrel vise to do the swap/headspace- about 100 bucks from MidwayUSA, the go and no-go gauges for same- about 30 each, but I lost the receipt so I am not certain there, JB Weld for bedding epoxy, four colors from Krylon to camo the stock- about 30 bucks total at the local hardware store. I have another Savage, and am shooting often enough that the tools will be used to replace barrels at regular intervals. In the end, there is nothing as satisfying as smacking targets out past 1000 yards with a rifle you built yourself.

Good stuff 7mag! Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to building something awesome. Fun stuff.

Forgot this:

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 144
Barrel - Plenty of great companies out there. I recently used a #4 Pac-Nor on a Rem 700 in 270 WSM. Had it fluted and a brake installed and still weighs about the same as the factory #3. Cost: $600-950 depending on which barrel and if you add fluting and brake. I chose the mini magnum muscle brake for its compact size. You definitely don't need a brake for that caliber but they make range sessions more enjoyable.

Stock - Lots of choices here too, but get one that's weather resistant. Laminated wood or composite stocks are available from $200-600 that will work nicely for a mountain gun. I used the factory Remington LSS stock for my build which is a solid laminated wood stock. Composite stocks are a bit lighter. You can find an ADL stock or get a BDL stock with the appropriate bottom metal. Do not get a big extended magazine since that will make it hard to sling carry. A flush magazine or floor plate would be ideal.

Trigger - definitely get a trigger job or aftermarket trigger. Putting in a spring kit and honing/adjusting the factory trigger may be all that's needed (depending on which factory trigger you have), or a Timney is a decent trigger for around $125.

Scope mount - 20MOA rails are the popular way to go. I like the Talley rails. EGW are cheaper and seem to be plenty solid but they have sharp corners everywhere. The Talleys are nicely rounded and just feel a bit higher quality. There are other good rails out there from Nightforce, Badger, Near, etc. that are higher end from $125-200.

I will leave the scope out of it since that's a whole new can of worms.

++Everything El Matador

Get your scope chosen soon because it will put a big dent in your budget.

You said hunting so you will want a hunting style stock. That will dictate some of your barrel profile options.

Pac-Nor is always high on my list but I also have Krieger, Hart (target), Bartlien and Benchmark. There is a Lija .375 that is at yet unused.

Timney trigger if you want to tune it of you are going to have your smith tune it. Ask him.

Thanks for the info el Matador and JFK seaman. I really appreciate the input.
Here is what a fellow 6.5x284 shooter I met on this forum recommended.

264 CAL SS 5R 1-8.5 TWIST #4 HVY SPORTER 26" FLUTED
Benchmark Barrels / 264 Caliber
Material: Stainless Steel
Contour No.: 4
Contour Type: Sporter
Breech Diameter: 1.25
Breech Length: 2.75
Blank Length: 27
Neck Diameter: .87
Neck Lenght: 6
Muzzle Diameter: .67
Finish Length: 26
Bore: .256
Groove: .264
Twist: 8.5
No. of Grooves: 5
6 Flutes

McMillan Game Scout
MCMILLAN GAME SCOUT REM 700 LA BDL STOCKS : Rifle Stocks at GunBroker.com

Tunney Trigger - Although gun smith says not necessary as he can adjust the stock trigger pretty light. Thoughts?

Also would like to put a brake on her. Suggestions?

Scope- Nightforce SHV 5-20x56

Not sure about scope base or rings.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations??

Thanks guys, I appreciate the guidance.

I brake all my rifles with muzzle brakes and more brakes. They are farely cheap in price but I love the design. These brakes are extremely effective. I dont think you can go wrong with near base and ring.

Having spent years as a wildcat, the 6.5-284 has been supplied in varied chamber configurations. I would specify this to your gunsmith or barrel maker. If you are planning on using 140 VLD's with Norma/Lapua brass I would recommend the throat be specified to have the 140 VLD contact the lands at 3.18-3.19" COAL to the lands. The chamber neck should be .296-.298" to accommodate neck sizing at .292". I personally like a 1:8 twist, 26" barrel using this bullet. I have seen a lot of 6.5-284's that have a lead that is too short to accommodate the 140 VLD's and take advantage of the case capacity which will produce 2950-3000FPS. IMO.

Twist: 8.5
I would go 8 but the rest is cool
I like Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 4 Long Range Remington 700 1000 Short Action & 1001 Long Action Stock but that's becuase I also like Weatherbys
Tunney Trigger - Although gun smith says not necessary as he can adjust the stock trigger pretty light. Thoughts?
Which ever you prefer. My smith does a great job on triggers and I like Timneys
Also would like to put a brake on her. Suggestions?
I like radial brakes others don't. Harrels are working very well for me. Muscle, JE. Get a thread protector made and you have the best of both worlds.
Scope- Nightforce SHV 5-20x56

Not sure about scope base or rings.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations??

Thanks guys, I appreciate the guidance.
You should make your budget and have a very accurate rifle.
All the best.

I built my 6.5-284 with a Benchmark barrel and very happy with it. They have gunsmithing services and can mount it on an action and put the rifle together for you if you wish. I too love Savages and mounted the barrel myself. I am very touchy about my hearing as I lost so much of it due to shooting. I do not own any ported guns as a result. The 6.5-284 does not have a heavy recoil and comfortable to shoot several in a row, IMHO. Remingtons have dangerous triggers (old and new) and would (and did) replace it with an aftermarket trigger. I had a Remington that went off in the dark at the beginning of a deer hunt when I closed the bolt. It went off again when I clicked off the safety when coyote hunting once. You will like the 6.5-284 as it is accurate and fun to shoot with moderate recoil. Check out the Vortex Viper scopes for a lot of scope at a good price.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.