Ruger 77 V/T in 6.5 Creedmoor

SPR1

I am intriqued by this 28" 6.5 Creedmoor offering for 2009. Does anyone have any input on how recent vintage 77 V/T models shoot?

SPR1,
I have never shot one but I'm fixin to soon. My boss let me bring his, in .220 Swift, home with me yesterday. He and his step-son swear it's a tack-driver. He has to buy dies and components first. JohnnyK.

I had one in a .243 Win that was a really good shooter. I did have a hard time getting used to the 2 stage trigger. I ended up selling it and getting a Remington 700 VLS (because of the trigger) and wasn't dissapointed. There is Nothing wrong with a Ruger. I just prefer Remingtons. I still have a Ruger and a Winchester m70, but I have 4 Rem 700s and like them alot.

Dan

I've been around 3 of them and each of them were 1/2 MOA shooters easy with there preferred loads.

My cousin has one in a .223 rem that shoots lights out with 50g vmax and IMR-4895. First load tried shot 1/4". Thats good enough for him.

My dad has one in a 22-250. Shoots great with 40g vmax or 50g vmax and IMR-4895.

I had one in a 220 swift and it shot a variety of bullets into .5" or better including, 40g barnes VLC, 40g vmax/NBT, 52g SMK, 55g NBT.

I actually like the 2 stage trigger. To me its no different then say an accu-trigger. You squeeze till the slack comes out, then its a nice crisp 2# pull, whats not to like for a factory trigger???

I'd definately buy another based on my experiences with them, but would look at the 243 and then punch it out to a 243 AI, or a 25-06 and do the same and maybe make it a 25-06 AI.

Didn't know they were offering the 6.5 creedmoor. Whats the specs on the creedmoor, haven't heard much about it?? Velocity with 140g bullets???

Thanks.
2800ish with 140's out of a 28".... It is designed to be a .260 Rem that will feed through box magazines

SPR1,
IMO it's marketing hype. 140gn bullet at 2800ish from a 28" tube? The .260 does that with a 24" tube. It's based on the .308 case so feeding is no problem....from any magazine. I'm not gonna get on my soap box.
Anyway, today I took the boss' Ruger M77 VT in .220 Swift out for a spin. I only shot two groups as it was 25*F. The first measured .626" and the second .5345". This was at 100yds with factory (Hornady 40gn V-Max Varmint Expess) fodder. I cleaned it beforehand.

scan0006.jpg

I didn't think this was too bad considering the conditions. Nothing has been done to the rifle. With a little load development I feel it would be better. JohnnyK.

No hype. I was too brief in my earlier description. It is designed for box magazines at .308 length when loaded with very long bullets like the VLD design or the Scenar while keeping the shank of the bullet out of the juncture between neck and shoulder where "doughnuts" can form. The .260 works but is non-optimum for this specifc application. The .260 does indeed have a little more capacity and works fine, especially in sporter based bolt guns.
Zak Smith has had some good write ups on the cartridge and it's competition, the .260 and the 6.5 x 47 Lapua.
My interest in it in the 77 is probably more novelty based than anything. It might be a good substitute for my Cooper in 6.5x 284..... if it shoots.

I don't see why 260 fans get all wound up when somebody mentions the Creedmoor. The 6.5 Swede is still around so why did we need a 260? Everybody loves new stuff. To justify a new cartridge you have to have a reason, and that has been given in the posts above. 260 is geared to hunters, and Creedmoor is geared to benchrest shooters. Since the Creedmoor with fit the black guns, IMO (and I don't own a black gun), it is a step ahead.

As for the Ruger V/T, I have it in the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have fired it 7 times, and that was clean-shoot-clean-shoot... The trigger is OK. There is a slight bit of creep and the gun is new. It may get better, or a 'smith may have to take a look. The creep is minor, but it could be better. There is no obvious overtravel, and I like the 2-stage idea. I haven't had it out of the wood, but Ruger recommends not adjusting the trigger, and there is no instruction so I don't know if there is a way to adjust it or not. Aside from that, I like the gun so far, especially for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.