257 STW in a Ruger 77?

skyjacker69

Hey guys - The new rifle bug has bit again, and I'm thinking about getting a 257 STW built. I've always been a fan of Rugers, because they always seem to work. Those integral bases seem to keep a scope in line whether the rifle gets dropped off a mountain or run over by a 1 ton Chevy (both of which I've seen happen).

Anywayz, I got a little off track there. My question is whether or not the magazine box on a Ruger is long enough to accept an STW round. They don't make 'em from the factory, and I figured one of you fellas ought to have some insight into the subject!

Prairie goat,

Another Montana boy, welcome to LRH!!!

I have converted a few Ruger M77 MkIIs to the full length magnums and the converions do work very well for a big game rifle.

It should be clearly understood that this is only possible with a Ruger M77 MkII receiver, it is NOT possible with the old standard Myy with the tang safety.

There is some extensive machining required to open the Ruger receiver up to accept a magnum length mag box. THis milling is fine as long as you do the cutting at the rear of the mag box and not at the front where the bolt lugs are supported by the receiver.

The case ejector also has to be modified to accept the longer bolt throw.

If you start with a magnum bolt faced Ruger M77 MkII they generally feed like a dream, in fact the ones I have converted you would never know that they were not shipped like this as they fed so well and smoothly.

So yes if you have a MkII this conversion is possible.

The 257 STW is a great round as well. If you use a +26" barrel you will get some serious performance. Before I designed my 257 Allen Mag I used and tested the 257 STW extensively and was impressed with its performance but I personally wanted more velocity with the heavier bullet weights so I designed my 257 Allen Mag.

I have build many 257 STW rifles for customers and have yet to hear anyone complain about performance or accuracy. It is a very serious deer round in every way.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

257Speed,

Yes the 110 gr Accubond as well as the 130 gr BCFBHP and 145 gr FBSP from Wildcat take these big 1/4 bores into the next level of performance on game such as deer.

What levels of performnce are you getting with the 110 Accubond. I have been going to test these in my 257 Allen Mag for load data for my customers. I predict it could push the 4000 fps level very hard with this bullet weight.

Would be interested to hear what your getting with your STW!!

It is a very good round I agree!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.