RUGER 204 STORY

Your swift sounds awesome. My swift is the new Ruger Target. Brown heavy laminate stock with heavy grey stainless barrel. It will shoot plastic tip bullets from 40-55g into at least .3" but it favors 40g for some reason. I really like my swift, but am trying to sell it. Maybe I wont now I'm going in the army. I use W-W brass. I have gotten 4 loadings from these cases and some are starting to crack at the necks. I am running this pretty hard though. I have only used IMR-4064 with the 50-55g bullets. It seems to be the cats meow for this particular rifle. 38g is giving me 3925 fps with .3" at 100 for 3 shots, and 2 inch 5 shot group at 300, 4 inch 5 shot group at 525. Not to bad for a factory rifle. Your swift sounds kick ***, shoots awesome to!

[ QUOTE ]
I do not care what anybody else sis. The 220 swift will out perform a 204 no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to get in an arguing match here wildcat, but if you are going to not pay attention to what the ballistic programs say, you might be mistaken. As I said before, the 204 actually is flatter with top loads than the swift is and it does it with less powder, better barrel life, less case stretching, less trimming, less fl sizing, and less recoil. Don't misunderstand me, I LOVE the swift. As I said, I have been hotloading one for a decade. It is impressive, but one can't ignore the ballistic programs. They are unbiased.
Have a good one.

GG

I dont know what the BC of the 204 40g is, but I entered .280, with a velocity of 3900fps and 200 yard zero's for both. The swift with a 50g vmax at 4050fps is actually flatter by about 1 inch at 500 yards, and .5 inch at 400 yards. Obviously nothing, but I still dont see why the 204 gets all the hot raves and what not when the swift still seems to be king.

The reason I like the swift and 22-250 is the lareger bullet diameter and added bullet wieghts. I think these work better for yote sized game. My 22-250 loved to eat the 55gr BT and it was absolute murder on yote's. I have seen a few dogs take several shots from 204's with the 32 and 40gr loads and keep on going.

I think it is a nice little round but I like a little more for dogs.

Of course I used to use a 300 RUM for yote's so go figure. Guess I wanna make sure thier dead!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
steve

lerch: if you like the 55grain from a 22-250, you would like the 6mmbr even more. It spits a 55grain BT out at 37-3800fps.. and has a higher BC. And uses 20 grains less.. And twice the barrel life..

[ QUOTE ]
my dad owns a 204 and he liked the gun a lot when he first got it. After he and many of his friends wounding coyotes only to have them run off he decided to get a 243win and use the 70gr ballistic tip, coyotes just fall over now!!!!

I may be mistaken but I thought I had heard that no one had been able to reproduce the velocities claimed by Hornady???

I am not saying anything bad about the caliber, I think it is pretty slick. I just dont think it is quite as good as it is hyped up to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have! Hornady 32 V-max at 4200 + with Win 748

[ QUOTE ]
the swift still seems to be king.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not anymore! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Do not discount the 223 WSSM.
4600 fps with the 40 grainers as I remember it!

I have noticed an awful lot of people having prob's with the 223 and 243 wssm. A lot of them sent back to win with chambering issues.

steve

I have shipped back 6-8 myself in win 70 in 243wssm, chamber acted like it was egged. A few other guys had problems with them but i never got a full explanation.

The guys i know that got guns and haven't had any problems with them seem to really like them. They definantly add some speed.

take it easy
steve

No GG, never want to argue, but it is always good to have coversation. I think the ballistic table you are referring to is using a 32grn bullet. I will be using a 55grn bullet with a velocity of around 3800 fps to 4000 fps, I think I would rather have a 55 grn bullet at those velocities than a 32grn bullet. If the wind picks up, the 32grn bullet is gonig to be pushed all over the place. I would have to agree with about the reloading factors, less powder, better on brass, barrel, just to name a few. I guess what I was trying to say is there is more factory ammo out there for the 223, 22-250 and 204, so those three rounds would be a better choice for the person who does not reload. Anyway, they are both great calibers. How is the MOAG shooting, I should be receiving my big rifle soon. And by the way, did you guys start selling your shooting platform (Shooting Table). I could have sworn I saw you guys in Varmint Hunting Magazine. Thanks, Wildcat.

P.S. Just say no to Bird shot. I can't wait to see how far the Liberals take this one. I am really starting to get sick of all this crap!!! I have a shirt and on the front of it sis (ANYONE BUT HILLARY IN 08). I love to wear this shirt in the gym, you would not believe the hate looks I get from all the Liberals that workout in the gym. Remember, I live in California. Better yet, I wore this shirt while I was in Hawaii, I am suprised I am still alive. I hope the Republicans have a good Presidential Candidate for 2008. Sorry, I guess I got of on political tangent.

Lerch, you are exactly right on this one. My friend had a 223 WSSM and he loved the velocities he was getting, but the accuracy was not good. He started to have other problems too, he sold it and went back to his 22-250.

I just bought a winny 223WSSM Stealth and two of my buddies bought the 243WSSM stealth.
They all shoot great groups,had some ejection and trigger pull issues but for less than $100.00 our smith got that taken care of.
For a factory rifle we are very pleased with them.
As with anything mass produced you take a chance, maybe we got lucky.
As soon as it warms up(-15 this morning)I'll be out in my field testing my new toy,then a yote killin' I will go!

By the way,this is a great site for info since I'm new to long range hunting,I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me.
Thanks again for this informative site.

Guys, don't overlook 222 Remington Magnum, the 204 parent case. Loaded with 40 grain V-Max and H-335 at around 3600 fps my stock 40XB with 22" barrel had been dispatching ground squirrels at 500 plus yards with regularity.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.