Ruger #1 issue.

I don't the inner workings of No.1's that well, but a frequent trick used by S&W & Ruger is to slightly bend such a pin. Usually in the middle, and usually these are small pins. Like the one in Ruger's adjustable rear pistol sights. Bend it slightly and re-install.

This may or may not be appropriate for the pin in question, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

I have a Ruger #1 with a trigger issue. The issue is that the pin in the trigger link keeps falling out. What I need to know is how can I safely secure it to prevent this problem. As it stands I have lost faith in this rifle and want to sell it. How ever I want to fix the trigger first so some one else does not get my problem.
W
I have a Ruger #1 with a trigger issue. The issue is that the pin in the trigger link keeps falling out. What I need to know is how can I safely secure it to prevent this problem. As it stands I have lost faith in this rifle and want to sell it. How ever I want to fix the trigger first so some one else does not get my problem.
Where in Alberta....call me 780 554 5350... I will steer you in the right direction

Use a good sharp punch to put dents in both ends of the pin. It's best if you can do it with the pin in place but if that is not possible, you can do it with the pin removed... it will be harder to install but much less likely to fall out again. Also, are you sure it's supposed to be solid pin and not a roll pin? I would not bend the pin to keep it in place, internal clearances might be compromised. Just a touch of Locktite, applied with a toothpick should work as well.
Cheers,
crkckr

Thank you every one for the help. The pin is a solid pin as that is what was in there when I took ita part. The gun was bought brand new so no one has messed around with it. I am going to give RL26's smith a call first as he was the first with his smith. Then if that is a bust I will give skipglo a shout. The loctite was an idea I had too but never thought of the toothpick to apply it.

Also got thinking of a tension pin....but since it is on a trigger most likely the pressure inside the trigger itself would not allowxthe trigger to rotate properly
Dave should be able to answer this problem.....fixed my problems...all but that nervous twitch anyways.....

I talked to Dave and did what he said to do. He told me to bruise the small end of the pin to eliminate it sliding out. I did that and added a drop of blue Loctite to each end of the pin. So now the question is does anybody want to buy a real nice Ruger#1 so I can buy a real gun LOL.

I talked to Dave and did what he said to do. He told me to bruise the small end of the pin to eliminate it sliding out. I did that and added a drop of blue Loctite to each end of the pin. So now the question is does anybody want to buy a real nice Ruger#1 so I can buy a real gun LOL.
What is the caliber of your Ruger and have you shot it without loosening the pin since your "fix"?

It is a 25-06 and no I have not shot it since the last fix. It was late in the afternoon when I fixed it. Are you a Ruger#1 fan Gibbshooter.

Could you use a Carbide center punch and swell the ends of the pin just a little?
Shouldn't take much. Or just grind an oversized pin. I have made a bunch and
O-1 drill rod works great!

The trouble KY is that the pin is going through metal that could bend and cause more trouble. All this has to be done while in the gun. Well I am pretty sure it needs to be in the gun. These rifles are not what you would call a field strip and repair rifle. They have more odd design features then you can shake a stick at. I think the only reason I have kept this gun this long is because it looks so nice. Not sure if I said it here but it has less then 200 rounds through it. This little pin must have been loose from the day I bought it and actually fell out while I was looking at the fore arm to improve accuracy. How bad can a guys luck get the gun was on its back in my Tipton vise. It could have been worse it could have happened while hunting I guess. It is just to the point now where I do not trust the rifle any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.