RRA Predator Pursuit or Bolt Gun

commodore99

Hi All, just joined the forum after reading some of the posts, but I wanted to get a few opinions. I currently have a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Stainless Laminate in .223 with a Pentax Lightseeker 6x24 mounted.

I have owned the gun since new, but have only shot it maybe 50 times in the past 10 years. I'm kind of getting an itch to own an AR15 and have settled on the RRA Predator Pursuit. I just think I would enjoy my range time a bit more and it will be a bit lighter to haul around for coyote and the occasional prairie dog hunt.

Any opinions on the RRA or whether I am an idiot for getting rid of a nice bolt gun? I hate to keep it if it never gets shot, but I also have no clue about the value. If it was worth a decent amount of money, I would consider selling it. It's it's not, then I may as well hold onto it.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I love my 70 and would never sell it. I have an AR with a bull barrel. With scope and bi pod it weighs 13.5 pounds. I never use it because of the weight even though it shoots one hole at 100. Consider keeping the 70 and buying an AR with a standard barrel.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely something I have thought about as well. Now the trick is figuring out which AR with a standard barrel. Seems like there are a million options these days.

I have a Les Baer and a Noveski. They both shoot .50 moa. Weight about 10 pounds loaded with scope and bi pod. Without a doubt they are a lot of fun. I talked to GAP about building a light weight AR. They told me to check out POF. Check those out and see what you think.

I appreciate it, however all of those are much more expensive than my budget. Any thoughts on some of the lower priced options out there?

I appreciate it, however all of those are much more expensive than my budget. Any thoughts on some of the lower priced options out there?

buy the parts and build the one you want. It is really simple. The accuracy of an AR is all in the barrel and trigger. All the rest is just to hold it together.

you can save a bunch of money. Rainer Arms is the place to shop.

that said I have this on order. 6mm AR Home Page

one warning though. Building ar's is addicting.

What matters most is what you want to do with the gun, If you are looking for a lightweight coyote gun and will only shoot a box of ammo at most on a hunt you can build a very accurate ultralight AR-15.

Rcoody is right the AR is all about the Barrel and the trigger. you can put a very accurate gun together easily with minimal tools and even less experience building AR-15's My 18" "SPR" that I built just shot four out of five 3rd groups into sub .5MOA at 100yds. The last group was me feeling the pressure and I screwed up, but it was still a sub MOA group. The best group was a staggering .187" center to center. And that gun is built on a Rock River upper and Lower. with a Douglas Barrel. and I just upgraded to a Hiperfire 24C trigger to replace the Rock River 2 stage.

I have another AR built on a bushmaster Vmatch Upper and a Standard Bushmaster lower with a Spikes CHF chrome lined 14.5" barrel and a Troy 9" alpha rail, and its a 7lb 9oz gun with a loaded 30rd mag (one lb by itself) and an 11.7oz Aimpoint red dot. So with good optics choices and a 5rd mag you could have a very capable 7lb rifle.
that gun with a red dot shoots factory match ammo at about 1.25moa with a polished up GI trigger group. Im sure it could do better with a better trigger.

Hi All, just joined the forum after reading some of the posts, but I wanted to get a few opinions. I currently have a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Stainless Laminate in .223 with a Pentax Lightseeker 6x24 mounted.

I have owned the gun since new, but have only shot it maybe 50 times in the past 10 years. I'm kind of getting an itch to own an AR15 and have settled on the RRA Predator Pursuit. I just think I would enjoy my range time a bit more and it will be a bit lighter to haul around for coyote and the occasional prairie dog hunt.

Any opinions on the RRA or whether I am an idiot for getting rid of a nice bolt gun? I hate to keep it if it never gets shot, but I also have no clue about the value. If it was worth a decent amount of money, I would consider selling it. It's it's not, then I may as well hold onto it.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

every gun I ever sold I regretted it later. guns are meant to be passed down generation to generation.

Swing into Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie and check out APF Armory AR that they have. I picked up one for the very same reason, light weight walking rifle to replace my other AR that had morphed into a F T/R rifle and far too heavy to carry anymore.

I've ditched the optic it comes with in favor of a magnified optic, added a Geissele trigger, and some other AR furniture (yes, as mentioned, AR's can be addicting to mod). Of the loads I've tested, the barrel favors the lighter weight 55 grain loads. It's capable of sub MOA with factory 55gr ballistic tips, probably close to .5MOA if the shooter does their part and finds a sweet load for it.

Price is right and thus far it's been a great shooter with zero issues.

Though I'm not sure I would sell the bolt gun to acquire one. Cabelas appears to be having a sale tomorrow and has DPMS entry level AR for under $600.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.