RPA rifles......and McMillan A5 vs A4 vs A3 etc

Brown Dog

Had a chance to handle some RPA rifles at the weekend ( www.rpa-eng.com ).
Very impressive....given the right stock!

Grateful for some advice on choosing between the various A5/4/3 etc options.

I like the A5 but am slightly put off by the 'beavertail wide flat foreend'

...I would prefer something narrower in cross section at the fore-end

......since with bipod, the only time I handle the fore-end is for an offhand shot; I prefer something that is easier to grip than a wide beavertail.

I would gravitate towards an A2/3, but I want a stock with a butt-hook.

Questions:

Is the A4 basically an A5 with an 'SSG-style' cross section foreend?

The MCM website implies that the barrelled action sits lower in the A5 than the other A series stocks.....worrying, relatively-speaking, how much higher does the action etc sit in an A4 or A2/3

And finally, I prefer a 'cheekbone cheekweld' as opposed to the 'jaw cheekweld' that most stocks seem to give. Is the tactical comb high enough for this or should I go for 'thumbwheel adjustable'?

As always..Many Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Had a chance to handle some RPA rifles at the weekend ( www.rpa-eng.com ).
Very impressive....given the right stock!

Grateful for some advice on choosing between the various A5/4/3 etc options.

I like the A5 but am slightly put off by the 'beavertail wide flat foreend'

...I would prefer something narrower in cross section at the fore-end

......since with bipod, the only time I handle the fore-end is for an offhand shot; I prefer something that is easier to grip than a wide beavertail.

I would gravitate towards an A2/3, but I want a stock with a butt-hook.

Questions:

Is the A4 basically an A5 with an 'SSG-style' cross section foreend?

The MCM website implies that the barrelled action sits lower in the A5 than the other A series stocks.....worrying, relatively-speaking, how much higher does the action etc sit in an A4 or A2/3

And finally, I prefer a 'cheekbone cheekweld' as opposed to the 'jaw cheekweld' that most stocks seem to give. Is the tactical comb high enough for this or should I go for 'thumbwheel adjustable'?

As always..Many Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you MUST have the butthook, and dont like the beavertail, you are stuck with the A4 -- the a4 has a bit clubby square forend, and a little less area between the butthook and the recoil pad for a rear bag.

IMO the a3 is tought to beat. I have an A5 but havent shot it yet, but if i shoot it like i shoot the a3, i wont even be using the butthook

the a5 also has a faceted comb instead of round like everything else -- some faces may not like that.

I use a 56mm NF and just have an eagle stock pack to elev the comb a bit -- works for me

after having the fully adj a3, i ordered the a5 with NOTHING adjustable.

also, RE: the rear bag riding section, the a4 is rounded, the a5 has a flat on the bottom almost 1" wide.

YMMV,
JB

JB,

Great answer; many thanks.

You might be able to help me with another question; the difference between 'integral adjustable cheekpiece' and 'thumbwheel' same?

Am I correct in assuming that -unlike the saddle cheekpiece- both 'integral' and 'thumbwheel' raise a cut-out section of the comb but use different methods to hold it there (I'm happy with how 'thumbwheel' is doing this; however, is 'integral' the same thing but using an allen-key-into-the-side-of-the-stock fixing method?)

...and what didn't you like about your A3's adjustable cheekpiece?

[ QUOTE ]
JB,

Great answer; many thanks.

You might be able to help me with another question; the difference between 'integral adjustable cheekpiece' and 'thumbwheel' same?

Am I correct in assuming that -unlike the saddle cheekpiece- both 'integral' and 'thumbwheel' raise a cut-out section of the comb but use different methods to hold it there (I'm happy with how 'thumbwheel' is doing this;

JB: YES!

however, is 'integral' the same thing but using an allen-key-into-the-side-of-the-stock fixing method?)

JB: NO ALLEN KEY NEEDED, 2 small thumbscrews

...and what didn't you like about your A3's adjustable cheekpiece?

[/ QUOTE ]

My CP has only the little thumbscrews to hold it, not the large central thumbwheel.

you can get either or both, i would suggest BOTH if you are getting the integral CP -- mine would work loose and fall at the most inoppertune moment--(the thumbWHEEL will keep this from happening), that is why i have the stock pack instead.

there are only 2, integral and saddle, the integral just has 2 ways of securing it.

no allen key required unless you use terry cross' version of the CP ([email protected])

HTH,
JB

Brown Dog,
I have an a5 and i find that the wide forend seems stiffer than other stocks, also the cheekpice seems a little higher. Kirby Allen finished a 6.5-.284 for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It is fitted with an a5 with a thumbwheel and has two locking screws on the right side of the stock. the adjustable cheekpiece also can be moved left or right and locks down tight with two allen head screws. Kelly Mcmillan suggested the adjustable cheekpiece since my wife has a long neck. I have found that by switching her scope out to a mark 4 m1 with a 40mm bell and using low mounts that it really works for someone who uses a cheekbone weld like my wife does, unlike me who has no neck. I recommend that you e-mail Kelly McMillan at McMillan stocks, he is really helpful and would recommend what will work, not what he wants to sell.
good shooting
joe

You might also consider that the HS Precision line of stocks would fit the RPA action as they share the same profile as a Rem 700. I have both manufactures stocks on several rifles and cannot choose bettween them. The McMillans are a very good stock but require pillar and action bedding to get the best out of them. On the other hand, the HS, due to their aluminium V-Block construction only requires a skim of bedding compound under the action and a barrel "pad" just under the chamber area of the barrel to attain best acuracy. Both stocks IMHO are easy to work on and if purchasing in the UK (which I would't do) are similarly priced. I have just had a custom Rem 700 done in 6.5x284, the base rifle was a Sendero, which as you will be aware has a HS stock fitted, I waited to see how it shot before I decided on a Mcmillan as I really fancied an A5.

However, after I had done a pad to support the chamber area and skim bedded the HS, the rifle shot very well (500yds = 2inch group) so at the moment a change of stock seems futile.

Bowman,
I don't know how to post pictures, heck I'm having trouble doing this much. Kirby Allen has pictures of my wife's stock, the one with the adjustable cheekpiece. He is the smith who built the gun. Betty says to get Kirby to post them. It is an awesome firearm. I have seen grown men drool over it.
Joe

7RUMloader,
The e-mails are on my wife's computer at the shop.
Don't even think about me getting them from there to this computer. I wouldn't begin to know how. If Kirby doesn't read this and come thru I'll have my wife send them to you tomorrow.
Joe

Boman here are the pics of the 6.5X284 joe was refereing to. Very nice looking rifle indeed.
BettyBoyd65284left.jpg

BettyBoyd65284.jpg

I tried resizing them but it wouldn't let me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.