Rough start in Montana

Okanogan

This my first year hunting in Montana as a new resident and the whitetail season seems to be starting off less than ideal. I set up a ground blind in a clear cut area a mile back in off a NFS road about 10 days before season. I made sure and indelibly mark the equipment I left with my name and secured the blind with a security cable in a fashion that could be undone with some effort but which hopefully would keep honest folks honest. I avoided hunting it opening weekend to give others the opportunity to hunt because a lot of folks can only hunt weekends and some take their kids in the area on the weekends.

I walked in Thursday before dawn to find the blind and everything associated with it stolen, including the game camera that overlooked the blind. To say I am disappointed with the courtesy and honesty of the hunters that took my gear would be an understatement. All together they only got about $400 worth of equipment but I went ahead and reported it to the sheriffs department.

I think if I put enough effort into it, I could figure out who did it but I'm not too sure how hard I want to push over losing $400 of gear to a couple of armed low integrity individuals. My guess, and it is just that, is the folks doing the stealing were locals upset at the idea that someone would put up a blind on their national forest hunting spot.

That sucks. I just bought some cellular game cameras for house surveillance. They can steal the camera all they want the pics will already b on your phone.
A picture from one of my home game cameras in WA sent a burglar to jail about 5 years ago so they definitely have their place in a layered security plan.

In MT, cellular game cameras are illegal in the field and besides if one of those got stolen my loss would have doubled. I always knew putting anything up on public land was a risk so I was trying for the balance of security and risk. I honestly had some hope that the type of people here might be a little more honest than urban dwellers, especially a mile back in the woods. I certainly don't think it was anyone who lives with-in two miles of the trail access as I know most of them and could count them on one hand.

There is no rule in MT that limits a hunter to one game camera, and I never said I only had one. They only stole one camera. Appreciate the sentiments from the generally more honest folk that seem to participate in the forum.

A picture from one of my home game cameras in WA sent a burglar to jail about 5 years ago so they definitely have their place in a layered security plan.

In MT, cellular game cameras are illegal in the field and besides if one of those got stolen my loss would have doubled. I always knew putting anything up on public land was a risk so I was trying for the balance of security and risk. I honestly had some hope that the type of people here might be a little more honest than urban dwellers, especially a mile back in the woods. I certainly don't think it was anyone who lives with-in two miles of the trail access as I know most of them and could count them on one hand.

There is no rule in MT that limits a hunter to one game camera, and I never said I only had one. They only stole one camera. Appreciate the sentiments from the generally more honest folk that seem to participate in the forum.
I had my ladder stand and trail cam stolen along with my trophy rock, from my private property, just 150 yards from my back door. Nothing is sacred anymore.

I had my ladder stand and trail cam stolen along with my trophy rock, from my private property, just 150 yards from my back door. Nothing is sacred anymore.
Your post doesn't do much to boost my trust toward my fellow man.

I went ahead and ordered another blind with the intent to place it on my property. Besides your post, my confidence isn't boosted by the game camera footage 150 yds behind my house. It shows photos an individual that also appear with another individual in a different game camera photo leading out of where the blind was taken, right when I think the theft occurred. If something goes missing from my property, I will definitely dropping into @jessej sentiment.

My guess, and it is just that, is the folks doing the stealing were locals upset at the idea that someone would put up a blind on their national forest hunting spot.
I am sorry for your bad experience. I must admit; I have to Google where Condon is - beautiful surrounding area. You are probably right about your assessment. In either case, regardless of where you are, there is no excuse - the "Golden Rule."

ADDED:

Sadly, I too started locking things up.

Game hauler.jpg

Last edited:
Try hiding a camera watching your camera... Bummer to think that way but perhaps you can catch the s**tbird!
The blind was in a clear cut so finding a spot for the one camera on the blind that was partially hidden was an effort in itself. Putting another camera in the clear cut likely would have resulted in another loss with a determine thief. I knew it was a risk when I set up.
I do have other game cameras, one of which is on the most likely trail leading out from the clear cut area. That camera works fine and I can tell you there are only two other hunters leaving the area together who show up on that camera besides me. They just happen to look like they have full packs and happen to be leaving right when I think the blind went missing. I just don't expect local LEO to put out much effort for a $400 property theft from public land. I could be wrong and time will tell.

There's a thread called Theives anoung us here. I don't consider them hunters or anything to be associated with us. Must likely crackheads wanting to sell for drug money. It shows how stupid they are when stealing. Not thinking they aren't getting photographed . I caught a nieghbor on a trail cam stealing and returning a package he stole from me. Had the postal worker question him. Next day there it was on my porch a week later. Enough said. He was dam lucky two ways. A flaming anti hunting liberal.
Ca., Wa. and Or. All same chit.