RL22 vs H1000

Carman

Can anyone tell me which of these two powders (H1000 vs RL22) will produce the lowest CUP pressure given that both are loaded to push the same bullet at the same speed?

specs that I used to get the info.

win brass,180gn E-tip and a case over all length of 3.600 ( from head to tip of bullet )

75.4gn's of R22 gives out 57,346 psi and 78.4gn's of H1000 gives out 51,878 psi

so H1000 gives out less pressure when loaded to the same specs othe than the charge weight.along with the info both rounds came into about the same fps at 2980 or so.

hope this helps

The H 1000 is a much slower powder than RL22. it may take the whole length of the barrel to release it's energy, whereas the the rl22, depending on the load may release it's energy quicker, thus raising the cup. Two great powders, different burn rate. Hope this helps. 7STWlightbulb

7STW....thanks for the input. That's the impression I got but wanted someone smarter than me to confirm it. Just FYI to everyone who commented....I trimmed the casing to 2.61", loaded 75.4 grains of RL22 behind the 180 grain E-Tip, fired 5 rounds with no hang ups whatsoever. Got 2975 fps 10' from the muzzle +/- 3 fps. No signs of pressure at all. Measured casings after and they ranged from 2.614 to 2.617. Sorry Tikkamike....it was too long of a casings in that low tolerance chamber after all.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.