Rl22

From a typical 75* day to a typical very near 0* day velocity appeared to have dropped from 3200 to 3070 or 130 FPS. Figured it was a fluke with the chony and ignored it. Some day I'll check it again.

I'm always the different one everytime this question is asked. I use RL22 exclusively in my 300WM. I use 75 grns. in Winchester brass lit by a Fed GM215M primer under a 180 grn. Accubond. The load was developed when it was 80 degrees and chronographed at 3148 fps. I haven't changed the load in 8 yrs. and I've never hauled a chrono with me when I'm out hunting. But I've killed elk out to over 600 yds. when it was below zero. So whatever velocity I lost was not enough to matter to those elk. I'm not saying it's not temp. sensitive, but it hasn't hurt me. However, you might have trouble if you work your load up when it's very cold out and then you go to shoot the same load during the summer and it's 90 degrees out.
You won't know how it acts in your rifle until you try.
I guess if you're that worried about it, you could go and chrono your rifle in different temps and figure out drop charts accordingly. Do it at maybe 80 degrees, 50 degrees, 20 degrees and 0 degrees and enter your info into your ballistic program. It would take 2 secs to choose the one you need.

So whatever velocity I lost was not enough to matter to those elk. I'm not saying it's not temp. sensitive, but it hasn't hurt me.

In my above response when I said I ignored it, really ignored it. Same as you, I've harvested everything I've shot at from deer to yotes.

Does tempeture effect this powder? Does it fall into the catagory like Hodgdons extreme line?

There is a real easy test for this, I have done it many times. Load 20 of your standard/go to loads and stick 10 of them in the fridge or freezer overnight. Then when you are ready to test them take the cold/frozen load to the range in a good cooler with ice to keep them cold/frozen. Then chrono both of them and you will have the answer. I like the Reloader powders but they are all temp sensitive as you will see. I have even done this with the Hodgdon Extreme powders and they are very stable. I will shortly be testing IMR8208 for a coyote load and US869 in a 7MM STW load to verify the claims by IMR/Hodgdon that they are temperature stable powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.