RL-33 Load Data

That is not very impressive data for the 338. I hope that it can be pushed harder than that!
They are at or above factory spec. of 2950 fps with a 250 in the lapua. They are also using a 24" barrel as alliant always does if I'm not mistaken so in your 26" -30" pipe you will probably do better. From what I've seen so far this stuff is right between rl25 and the 50 bmg type powders. I need to get my 225 grain bullets through a chrono from my 300 rum with rl33. They shoot well but I need to know how fast they fly.

Finally made it to the range yesterday with RL33 & the 6-284. I chambered a dummy round then put a cleaning rod down the barrel to measure the usable barrel length. I added 1/2 " to this measurement for a total of 26.5". I used Rem. 9 1/2 Magnum primers for all loads. 105 Berger Hybrids w/HBN were also used for all loads. The loads other than the RL33 were loads that I had previously worked with. This is my first fast twist (1:7.5) 6-284. This is NOT a test as to how fast I can push the Bergers. I was interested in how fast the very accurate loads were. I used an Oehler 35P chrono 15 feet in front of the muzzle & added 9 fps to arrive at the muzzle velocity. Previously I had started out the RL33 testing with 56.5 grs. & worked up to yesterdays selection.
51.0 grs. RL22 = Avg. 3158 fps
55.2 grs. WMR = Avg. 3369 fps
55.0 grs Retumbo = Avg. 3289 fps
59.5 grs RL33 = Avg. 3249 fps
60.5 grs. RL33 = Avg. 3343 fps
The accuracy was done @ 200 yards. These are only averages of 3 shots. The load of 60.5 grs. RL33 was the most accurate. These charges were safe in my rifle. As always start lower & work up in yours.
Semper Fi

103 grains behind the 300 grn SMK in my edge is running 2960 from a 30" barrel. The primer is still not completely flattened.
Has anyone else noticed that it smokes quite a bit

Just loaded up some RL 33 for my "cabin gun". 300 wby, Spencer 1-10 twist, 30" on a BAT action, all wrapped up in a Shehane MBR Tracker.

This is the tube that never made as a true comp grade bbl. It is also the tube that LOVES Retumbo....LOTS of retumbo. I am just trashing the Norma brass after 7 firings. Primer pockets are still good, but the I started noticing the web growing. Now the shells wont fit into the RCBS shelholder on my priming tool. They still fit in the RCBS holder on my press though. What was scarry about his load was that I did the development without a chronograph. Backed off when I started to get the "click" at the top of the bolt lift. A grain less had no lift problems, but did show some "cratoring" of the primers. Another grain less showed absolutly no PSI signs. NONE...untill the fifth firing when I noticed the web problem. I didn't realize where I was, PSI wise, till I read the numbers on the chrono.
The load....Berger 210 VLD-H...88 gr retumbo at.....3270 FPS!!!!

Switched to the 230 Berger....87 GR....3190 FPS!!!

Figured I was playing with fire, so I trashed the brass and am going to try RL-33. Will also retest with the Retumbo...start at the bottom again and work up.

We will see if the RL-33 can match the Retumbo in the WBY case. I loaded three each from 85 Gr to 91Gr. Will start the retumbo around 81G.
When my EDGE gets finished I will run H1000 and RL 33 side by side. I know that the standard powder for the Edge is H1000, but I also know the RL 25 is the go to powder for the 300 WBY (at least for 1000 BR anyway) and this tube just didn't like it.

Just loaded up some RL 33 for my "cabin gun". 300 wby, Spencer 1-10 twist, 30" on a BAT action, all wrapped up in a Shehane MBR Tracker.

This is the tube that never made as a true comp grade bbl. It is also the tube that LOVES Retumbo....LOTS of retumbo. I am just trashing the Norma brass after 7 firings. Primer pockets are still good, but the I started noticing the web growing. Now the shells wont fit into the RCBS shelholder on my priming tool. They still fit in the RCBS holder on my press though. What was scarry about his load was that I did the development without a chronograph. Backed off when I started to get the "click" at the top of the bolt lift. A grain less had no lift problems, but did show some "cratoring" of the primers. Another grain less showed absolutly no PSI signs. NONE...untill the fifth firing when I noticed the web problem. I didn't realize where I was, PSI wise, till I read the numbers on the chrono.
The load....Berger 210 VLD-H...88 gr retumbo at.....3270 FPS!!!!

Switched to the 230 Berger....87 GR....3190 FPS!!!

Figured I was playing with fire, so I trashed the brass and am going to try RL-33. Will also retest with the Retumbo...start at the bottom again and work up.

We will see if the RL-33 can match the Retumbo in the WBY case. I loaded three each from 85 Gr to 91Gr. Will start the retumbo around 81G.
When my EDGE gets finished I will run H1000 and RL 33 side by side. I know that the standard powder for the Edge is H1000, but I also know the RL 25 is the go to powder for the 300 WBY (at least for 1000 BR anyway) and this tube just didn't like it.

Holy Crud! Those are some rip snortin' velocities!.......rich

I just ordered some 33 and will be trying it in my 338-378 Tejas next week. Right now I am using 104 grains of 7828 and getting 2976 with a 300 Berger. I will report my results.

Holy Crud! Those are some rip snortin' velocities!.......rich

Ya.. I guess so. i got totaly ripped over at the 6m br website by a couple of guys for being so reckless. I was asking if anyone had ever seen the FIRST sign of pressure be the growing of the web. I NEVER checked the web area before. Didn't notice it till they went into my shellholder hard after the 5th firing. I had taken this tube to "over the edge" when testing for 1000 yard comp with RL 25 (as I do with every tube so I know where the end is) and it acted normal as far as PSI signs, and at normal velocitys. Anyway, if I hadn't told them that it was hot up front..if I had just said I went up till I got a little bolt lift hitch and backed down 2 grains form there, every one of them would have said I did the right thing. It wasn't till I started working on drops and started working with the chrono that I figured it was a hot load. Like I said, no psi signs whatsoever (other than the chrono numbers) til the 5th firing or I got 2 grains hotter.

Anyway, do doubt this tube is a freak. And no doubt that this is a blue pill load, so, I am going back to the drawing board. I will post my results.

Ya.. I guess so. i got totaly ripped over at the 6m br website by a couple of guys for being so reckless. I was asking if anyone had ever seen the FIRST sign of pressure be the growing of the web. I NEVER checked the web area before. Didn't notice it till they went into my shellholder hard after the 5th firing. I had taken this tube to "over the edge" when testing for 1000 yard comp with RL 25 (as I do with every tube so I know where the end is) and it acted normal as far as PSI signs, and at normal velocitys. Anyway, if I hadn't told them that it was hot up front..if I had just said I went up till I got a little bolt lift hitch and backed down 2 grains form there, every one of them would have said I did the right thing. It wasn't till I started working on drops and started working with the chrono that I figured it was a hot load. Like I said, no psi signs whatsoever (other than the chrono numbers) til the 5th firing or I got 2 grains hotter.

Anyway, do doubt this tube is a freak. And no doubt that this is a blue pill load, so, I am going back to the drawing board. I will post my results.

I use to have trouble with the 300 RUM case swelling at the web before there was any other sign of pressure. I always felt that the dies were not sizing the case down enough and had to through them away after two or three firings because they were too tight to extract. When you chamber a .550" case with only a thou to start with, you have problems. I went through three brands of dies to no avail........rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.