RL-22 ?

Mountainsheep

This might be a really dumb question, but I'm just getting started in reloading center fire cartridges: I see quite a few loads listed using Aliant RL-22 that demonstrate good velocities and accuracy, but I also read many post that claim it is very inconsistent from lot to lot and is unstable with temperature changes. What are your opinions?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, lot to lot powders can differ up to 5% on all brands.......

you often wonder if the guy that is running the powder plant is not high on fumes. I usually try a one pounder, work up a load with it, then get if 5-8 pound jug if I am happy with the accuracy. Then I have to try the new lot to see if I need to adjust the powder charge .5 to 1.0 grains or more. It may sound like a real bitch, but it is real world.

There at times that you get real lucky with certain powders, but if you are a real freek for accuracy, this is the method that you need to learn, and quit buying one pound cans...that's a real NO NO!

Good luck!

Keith,

Thanks for the sound advice,
I understand that we need to treat different lots of powder individually. But in respect to RL-22 in particular; is it so sensitive to ambiant temperature that you would need different loads for likly changes in weather during an autumn deer hunt?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
I shoot Re 22 in 5 different rifles, I try and develope my loads when the temps are in the 30-40 degree range. I shoot these same loads in the fall/winter deer seasons and in the summer(rarely over 75 dgrs) to keep in practice. There is little enough change out to 600 yds that I don't bother with seperate winter and summer loads. However, I have shot one time when the temps were in the mid 80s and noticed the bolt lift was heavier than normal and accuracy was suffering. So if you're going to shoot at both ends of the temp. spectrum and want your best accuracy you will probably need two different loads. That will probably be the case with most powders though.

Chris

Dave,

It is good powder , lot numbers aside. Temp is not an issue for me from the 80's down to the 30 's . This is out to 700 or so .

I use it for my 300 winnie under 190 smk's around 73.5 gr.s or so will group under 1/2 moa out to 700 ( the longest range I had at the time )

See what it does for you, then you will know . I mean , it's only dollars ,yes ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JIm B.

Dave, if you go out and work up a load in August.....

there may be a slight difference or a huge difference when it turns 6*. Like one poster said above, it is really nice to develop loads when it is cooler...more common sense than anything.

If you have developed a load in cold weather and want to see what will happen when it gets warmer, put a loaded round in your arm pit for 5 minutes and see how it groups after 3 shots of warming up your ammo. It will not be an exact science, but it will expand your knowledge of your load.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.