Testing RL 22

JD

After reading soo much about different lots of RL 22 varying so much between lots and many times having large velocity swings d/t temperature, I decided to test the lot I have a couple pounds of. Im shooting a 300WM with 73.5RL22, 200 Accubond, @ 3030fps. I shot a 3 shot group @ 600 yards wich measured 2 5/8". After shooting, I put the rounds in my freinds freezer, which is around zero degrees. Came back a day later, and the rounds chronyed the same velocity, and impacted in the same spot as the group the day before. I thought it was interesting and just wanted to post my results.

Put the rifle in the freezer with the cartridges, then see what happens. No kiddin'.

If results are the same, let us know the lot number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One thing, in my own case, is that my cheap chrony may be more temperature sensitive than any of the other components.

And, come to think of it, I've never rechecked the zero in the winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Your post is a mind jogger. Thanks....I needed that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

That's good news. I've used 22 in several rifles and like it. But I got a bad lot once and had to back off 2 full grains under same conditions. Like I said in another post If I'm shooting one load near max which often works, I work it up in the summer. My winter loads in th past were often bumped up a little. I hae seen several people get into trouble working up a max load in winter and shooting it in the summer without working up.

I've seen a few complaints about RL22 here and there but I have to tell you RL19 and RL22 have been the most accurate powders I have tried. I now stick to the RL series of powders, I know they are manufactured off shore, Sweden?

There was one bad lot of RL22 a few years back that burned a little faster. All I did was call them and they told me dispose of it and they sent me another pound of a different lot #. Haven't had any other problems.

I made the following post on another site back in September. Might be relevant here since the subject is RL22:

I was recently perusing the results from 1000 yard benchrest matches held this year at the North Carolina and Iowa 1000 yard benchrest assoc. facilities. Each club posts the results of the matches on their respective websites. Looking at the results of these matches I found some interesting information (to me at least) regarding the powders that are being used at these matches.

For each relay of each match, I jotted down the powder brand and type that was used to produce the smallest group of that particular relay. Here are the results for the 230 relays I recorded.

Powder/ # of winning groups/ % of winning grps

RL22 / 75 / 32.6%
RL25 / 59 / 25.7%
H4831 / 41 / 17.8%
H4350 / 9 / 3.9%
RL19 / 8 / 3.5%
VVN165 / 8 / 3.5%
VARGET / 7 / 3.0%
WMR / 4 / 1.7%
RL15 / 3 / 1.3%
H1000 / 3 / 1.3%
IMR4350 / 3 / 1.3%
VVN560 / 3 / 1.3%
RETUMBO / 2 / 0.9%
IMR4046 / 2 / 0.9%
IMR4831 / 2 / 0.9%
H380 / 1 / 0.4%

I find this interesting because of the way Alliant powders seem to dominate these events. RL22 and RL25 account for almost 60% of the smallest groups recorded. Hodgdon is represented pretty well too, but is still a very distant second. I'm surprised that IMR powders produced so few winners. IMR7828, a favorite of mine, didn't show up at all!

I don't know what conclusions can be drawn from this limited bit of information. Most of us don't shoot at 1000 yards, but it would seem logical to assume that a powder capable of producing fine accuracy at that distance would be a good choice for shorter distances too. Currently I don't have any Alliant powders on hand, but I think I'll be buying some soon, LOL.

I find that list very interesting, Delta Hunter, as I have always been a Hogdon and Accuate Arms powder fan and just recently tried RL 22 for the first time. Bill Bailey sold me a Savage 116 FLSS in 270 Win. and I worked up a very accurate load using 130 TSX's and RL 22. When I was shooting the different loads, I had one 5 shot group that had three duplicate velocities in the string and two 3 shot groups that had two identical velocities in the string. Needless to say, the SD on these groups was incredibly low. I feel like that it is by far one of the most consistant burning powders I have ever tested. I will be using more of Alliant powders in the future.

**** I might have to try some on top of a 150g bullet out of my .270. I use to use RL22 and 19, I got excellent groups with them, but from everyone on here saying how temp sensitive they were, I switched to hodgon powders. Still getting good groups, but hopefully got away from the temp consistency problem. That is pretty interesting though that over 1/2 used RL powders. I will be trying it in my .270 with 150g sbt's now for sure!!!

Because of my seasonal work load, most of my range work is done in the summer.
Temps run over 100F most days I'm at the range.
This works well since I hunt California 'A' zone under the same conditions.
I've hunted Zone D-7 below freezing.
Cronograph readings with an 80 degree difference has been about 25fps.
That's not a big deal.
On the other hand if you work up your load while it's cold & shoot when it's hot you could have a problem.
RL22 is a double base powder that has a limited tolerence for top end pressure.
Once you hit the top of it's designed pressure curve problems can develope quickly regardless of time of year or temperture.

DK

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts