Rl-22 sensative

RL-22 is know to be quite sensative to temperature change. You will need to shoot some targets at varying temperatures and record the velocity changes. H-1000 is supposed to not be sensative, but I have done no formal testing with it in this regards. I have found both to be excellent slow burning powders.

i have tested Re 22 and have found that it drastically affects velocity when used in different temperatures.
I will never use it again.

I guess I'm always the exception every time someone asks this question. I've used RL22 in my 300WM in temps from over 90 to below zero. Never had a problem hitting what I was shooting at to over 600 yds. I do, however, develop my loads during summer when it's very warm outside. If you were to develop your loads when it was cold and then shoot it when it's over 90, you might run into problems. I also don't load it to max. It's then only powder I've shot in my 300. The only time I've had problems is when I was shooting on a really hot day. I blew a primer. However, this was also the lot# of powder that was later recalled by Alliant about 6-7 yrs. ago. Anyhow, it's the most accurate powder in my 300 and I've not seen the temp. sensitivity that everyone else has, so I will continue to use it. If you doubt it, don't use it as that will always be in the back of your mind when getting ready to pull the trigger.

I love the velocity and accuracy I get from RL 22 and RL 25. I have been using them to load Weatherby calibers. The downside is not high pressures or sticky bolts but from summer to winter my groups change and so does point of impact. I'm tired of working up a load that shoots really good and next time I go to the range in a different temperature the point of impact has changed. Gonna try to get away from RL powders. I'm going to try H4831sc, Ramshot magnum and Ramshot Hunter. I'm not as concerned with top velocities as I am knowing where my bullet will hit. Anyone having good luck with VV powders? Are VV powders very temperature sensative? I really like VVN 133 in my 222, 223 and 224 Weatherby. Even gonna try it in 22-250.

I just pour RL22 into the case until it spills over the top and then shake some out and seat the bullet. Sometimes primers blow, sometimes cases stick in the chamber and the worst part is I seem to always being having to clean animals and pack the meat out. Maybe I should quit using RL22 and change to something that doesn't cause me so much back breaking work.

YouTube - milkcookies

YouTube - milcookies2

I guess I'm always the exception every time someone asks this question. I've used RL22 in my 300WM in temps from over 90 to below zero. Never had a problem hitting what I was shooting at to over 600 yds. I do, however, develop my loads during summer when it's very warm outside. If you were to develop your loads when it was cold and then shoot it when it's over 90, you might run into problems. I also don't load it to max. It's then only powder I've shot in my 300. The only time I've had problems is when I was shooting on a really hot day. I blew a primer. However, this was also the lot# of powder that was later recalled by Alliant about 6-7 yrs. ago. Anyhow, it's the most accurate powder in my 300 and I've not seen the temp. sensitivity that everyone else has, so I will continue to use it. If you doubt it, don't use it as that will always be in the back of your mind when getting ready to pull the trigger.

I have read several articles on this phenomenon and had similar results with some powders
and then the next time out did not have what seamed to be a problem.

Hear is what I have seen, If you work up a load @ 70o and chronograph it if you test it at
100o the velocity will be higher with some powders but the point of impact may not move
very much (Especially at the shorter distances) at 300 or 400 yards.

If you shoot the same load @ 30o you may lose a little velocity but the POI won't change
much because the humidity is normally much less.

Also if you keep your rifle and ammo at the same temperature the spread is not as bad .But
if you leave your rifle out in the cold weather and not the ammo it will change the POI more
than if it is kept warmer than the outside temperature and the ammo is also kept in your pocket
untill needed.

I read somewhere that a cold rifle fireing pin may travel slower causing poor ignition and
slower velocities, Not sure about that , but I have seen actions freeze up because of to much grease and oil in the action.

The best thing to do is test the load at both high and low temperatures and note the difference
on your loading log.

I find that the Extreme powders from hodgdon do seem to help but there are other powders
that are not as temp sensitive as others so the only to find if it makes a difference is to
test you load under all conditions.

A chronograph is the only way to find if it effects velocity and shooting is the only to find out
if it changes your POI.

Not really a solid answer but the rule is "There is no rule".

J E CUSTOM

I too have problems with rl22 in my 257wby. It's the most accurate powder I've tried in this gun, but when the temps go up I get sticky bolt lift. I've backed my load down .5 grain just to be safe and it still shoots accuralety.

I haven't really saw the temp sensativity, but then again I do most of my shooting in close to the same conditions I hunt under, However my love affair with re-22 is about over, its shoots well, shoots fast but its not what I want in a long range propellant.
My gripe about it is every time you change lot #'s you rework your load, the lot to lot varience is pretty bad, last lot change my 6.5 gibbs went from 3340 fps to 3200 with 61 gr of powder, shooting both at 50°. I'm going back to H-1000
RR

HTML:
My gripe about it is every time you change lot #'s you rework your load, the lot to lot varience is pretty bad,

I've seen the same thing. The last pound I got was way faster than the last. Since I'm loading right on the edge of sticky boltlift, I have to be careful. Maybe I'll try some loads with H1000.

I know that Alliant's RL powders are double based as opposed to single
based and because of that they contain more power in the form
of added nitro glycerin but I cant remember whether it is single based
or double based that is supposed to be the most temp sensitive.? ?

I know that Alliant's RL powders are double based as opposed to single
based and because of that they contain more power in the form
of added nitro glycerin but I cant remember whether it is single based
or double based that is supposed to be the most temp sensitive.? ?

ball powders are double based and temp sensative RE powders look like extruded powders, never heard they were double based before.
RR

Just to make sure I turned to the article in Handloaders magazine where
they said the RL powders were extruded double based.

I had also scribbled from notes in the same magazine that the
Accurate 3100 of about the same speed as RL-22 was single based
While their next slowest powder, the MagPro, was double based.

Nearly all of Hodgen and IMR powders for rifles are single based
and extruded and referred to as "Extreme" powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.