RL 22 powder, 300 win mag

Will the size of the group really change that much with each lot of powder? I am shooting about a 1" group or under consistently with my rifle at 100 yards,I have a .300 win mag Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless. I know this is not anything like the long range shooters on this site shoot, but for the hunting that I do this type of group is fine for me.
Is there any other way to tighten up my group. I am not able to lengthen my shells, because I am limitted by my clip. 3.34" is all I can stretch my bullets out to, which is factory length.
I am using winchester brass, Reloader #19 powder, and federal match grade magnum primers with 168 gr Barnes X triple shock bullets. Any help or advice would be great. I have only been loading my own rifle shells for 1 or 2 years now.

With the restriction of your magazine, I think the only way that you could get tighter groups would be to try a different bullet/powder combination.

A couple years ago I was loading for a friend's 300WM, it was Model 70 Win. With the bullets 50 thousands off the riflings his groups hovered around 3/4". But, the shells wouldn't go into the magazine, so I had to seat them another 60 thousands deeper.

So now with the bullet 110 thousands back, his groups opened to 1 1/2". There's not much else that can be done to improve it, for he wants to use only the 180 Partitions.

Lefty ,

No , if you have a good shooting load then the group size will m=not change enought o a ffect your hunting accuracy at 3,4,5 hundred yds .

Even beyond that possibly but remember ..................................this is only my opinion / belly button ( everyones got one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Jimba

Thanks for the input fella's I do appreciate it. It does seem like we have a few different opinions here. Does anyone else have some insight for me?

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I like 71.0 grs of Re 22 under a 200 gr Accubond , gets me 2950ish and dead critters I point it at.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said + + very accurate in my 300win. some fps variance from the 90 temps i initially worked the load at to the 20 temps that i hunted in but not enough to worry about.... - 80fps.

I can't agree that everyone should buy big jugs of powder...just get a couple of 1 pounders of the same lot# when you resupply. It's fine to buy what you need but you shouldn't be overbuying....although prices will most likely go up and powder lasts a long time. Still a personal decision for most shooters.

bought me a five pounder of rl22 just so happend to be the same lot of the one pounder i bought at wally's world, but i guess only us inexperienced shooters buy powder their.(keith), tried it today went up to 72.5gr with the 190smk average velocity was 2885 out of my sendero, extraction was good, primers were slightly cratering, a few here say their loading as much as 74gr with their gun, sierra book list 72.7 max, would like to have a bit more velocity from the 190's but my gains were small from going up 2gr. shoot 3 3shot groups 2 were .5moa 1 was real close to .25 may try to bump it up a little next week if pressure lets me, i have a box of 200smk anybody think they shoot better then the 190's and what vel are you getting

As I dont shoot a 300 win. I was wondering if any have used the RL22 in the 300 H&H or the 338-06 with heavy bullets as I would think it should do well I just thought Id see if anyone else here tried it there.

I shoot RL22 in my .300 win with a 190 interlock and use 76 grains doing 2970 FPS. I am getting only a very slightly cratered primer in my gun. But when comparing it with an Abolt that belongs to a friend with 168 VLDs it will take about 2 grains heavier charge than the A-Bolt. Mine is a Model 700 stainless built in 1991 in the custom shop. It looks like a standard LSS but shoots that 190 interlock or a 180 interlock into a single entry hole at 100 yards, and has a muzzle brake that I had installed.

When I started loading for my 300WM I started with R22...I had good results accuracy wise but the temp thing really bugged me. A load that was cooked up in colder temps could be dangerous in summer even with the same lot. I also think it burns a little dirty. I have switched to H4831. I am 1 grain over published max with no pressure signs(but please work up for yourself). 180g accubond and BR2 primers and RWS brass. im getting about 3100 fps.

I shoot 72gr RL 22 190SMK in my 300 wm Sendero an I loaded them in the winter. I shot them in early March slightly over 1/2 inch at 100 yd at 2890 fps, yesterday I got to shoot them at 300 yd and my first group measured .662 my personal best but the bolt was sticky and marked the case slightly but the primers looked good, should I back it down a little or stick with it as I shoot more in the fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.