RL-22 or RL-25 for 300 win mag w/ 210 Berger?

Timber338

I'm shooting the 210 Berger VLD Hunting bullet out of my custom 300 win mag with a 26" barrel. I just ran out of H1000 and I've got a new 5-lb jug of RL-22 and three 1-lb jugs (same lot) of RL-25.

Which powder would be better for the 210 Berger? In the past I"ve used RL-22 for other bullets with good success, but never with a Berger... Also, this is a hunting rifle and I"m not at all concerned about the temp sensitivity that everybody talks about with RL-22. I'll work up my loads in cool to cold temps and be hunting in cold temps.

Thanks for the help.

I've had my best results with RE25 and 200gr Nosler Accubonds, I run 79gr of RE25 and it is max in my rifle. RE25 gives me the best accuracy out of ant powder that I've tried and gets higher velocities.

Cheers.
gun)

Try them both, components permitting. JMO.

I've gotten great accuracy from both powders with different calibers in the past. I used RL22 in my first 7mmRemMag Sendero and it would drill holes on top of each other. I used RL25 in my 6.5-284 to shoot some 1.5-1.75" groups at 500yds.

I did try RL22 in my .300 WinMag a couple of years ago but it was with the 180gn SMK. It shot sub-1/2" groups at 100yds.

I would think that RL25 would give the best results with the 210gn bullets.

JohnnyK

Thanks guys. I might start out with the 25 and see how it works. Might get lucky and develop an accurate load with 25 without too much trouble. If not I'll move on to the 22.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts