RL-17-- Temp. Sensative?

remcraz

Hi
I have a question. Does anyone know if Reloader 17 is temperature sensative like the RL-22. I dont know a lot about the Reloaders sensativaty. What temp. makes them sensative and what would be the best temperature to zero it in at. I dont target shoot just hunt and I would just like to know if I zero it in in 50* weather can I bear hunt with it in August with 75* temp. I would like to have as much info. as anyone has got on the RL-17 and all Reloader powder.
Thanks and have a great day-----Ted

Ted, I've been running '17 in my 243AI since I could first get my hands on it, previously I had been running '22. I've seen much less mv variation in temp swings with '17. My real world drop data has only showed roughly a .5moa more of drop out to 1000yds in 70* temp differential with '17, so that equate to roughly a 50fps swing in a 70* temp change. I can live with that.

Here is a link to a thread that's we've been adding to about the speed/temp swings of '17 for about a year and half. LOTS of very good info in this thread.

R17 @ 4 below - 24hourcampfire

According to Alliant Tec RL 17 is suppose to be stable in all temps. And it is suppose to be or have the same burn rate close to IMR 4350 and H 4350.

The Alliant Tec plant is just down the road from where I live, but I'm not sure that RL 17 is produced there. ITs the RAAP propellent plant that produces single and multi base propellents for the military but they also produce civilian powders. I know several of the people there, I'll try to dig up some more info on the powders.

It gets erratic above 92 degrees when humidity and Barometric pressure is high. I have seen up to 100 fps difference in 102 degree temps from 85 degree temps. However below 92 I have seen very little deviation.

Hi
Thanks for the good info guys. I have shot it in my 7mm SAUM and it loves it so I would like to keep shooting it since it is doing a good job. I am shooting 56.5 gr. of RL-17 with a 160 accubond and it is going a little over 2900 fps in a 24in. barrel so thats not a big upgrade in speed but the accuracy is great.
Thanks Again Ted

Below 92 you are probably fine. I said that, but it is all I shoot in one of my 6.5-284s. But I dont do anything with it that matters if the temp is over 90. It was just an observation while load testing last summer. I get ES/SDs under 5 consistently with it between 65 and 90 degrees. RL-17 is great stuff.

I've never ran it in temps that high. My temps have been from about 10*-80* or so. Good info about the heat, we just don't have that many 90* days here.

Most people would never know or even care. I really don't care. For practical purposes I don't shoot in temps much over 90. But this past summer I had just gotten the rifle and couldn't help myself. I blew a primer and crushed my ejector spring with a load that I had fired at 90 degrees safely. So I started experimenting to see how much difference I had at different temps above 90. I backed it down 1/2 grain and started watching primers and case stretching. Found that everything was kosher until it got to 92, at that point it would get wild. groups went south and pressure signs got significant. Wait till late afternoon or early morning and everything was well again. The load was my established max and unbelievably fast, and I was getting half inch groups at 200 yards, so I stayed with it and just stopped shooting in high temps. When the temps got high I went to a mild load with 4831SC that was also really accurate. Kept the hot load for hunting.

I am looking to try some RL-17 in my 6-284 with the 115 VLD's. I have heard reloaders having luck with the 6 XC and the 115. Does anyone have any reloading data with the RL-17 in the 6-284? I have used it in a standard 243 and it shot very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.