Ring torque specs

Raise your hand if you have a really truly calibrated torque wrench??? Bueller? Bueller?? Bueller??? Ever check the wrench manufacturer's specified tolerance range??? Often larger than the required application fastener torque range. Ever really know and follow wrench use and care procedures?? Loosen fastener with torque wrench? Store wrench at torque setting??? Store wrench out of too bulky protective case??? Throw bare wrench in drawer with your heavy mauls and persuasion tools??? Pitch bare wrench in tool bag departing for field repair???? Look at all those Mr. Buellers out there.

Ever notice how obtuse the optics industry is regarding specifications? Torque specs have always been a "research" project. And, ring height is a guessing game. Low, Med High, Extra High, Nose Bleed High.... I'm kinda tall, will I fit under that ledge over there? Guess I'll have to call the ledge customer service..... They all should as an industry standard dump these meaningless words....none are standard among manufacturers.....and give the dimension from the base/pic rail mating surface to the scope centerline.......in bold copy on the package front, along with a basic sketch for clarity!!! Try to find the info on Leupold site......more time involved that finding that monster elk. And, every customer service rep will not know and throw out an "about" value or different values on subsequent calls. Been there; done that. You can't begin to understand how many conversations I've had with optics engineers, reps, marketing types about this for 30+ years. Should be a career altering event for any Marketing type that doesn't do this, and any customer service rep that guesses, doesn't know, or gives the wrong info. There much better. Saddle burr for decades... :) :) :)
My torque driver is stored in its case at ZERO setting, might not use it to loosen fasteners in the future and always figured it was close but better than guessing.

I store my Wheeler wrench at zero to take the pressure off the springs. This may, or may not help.
I decided to set the wrench midway between 15 & 20 in-lbs. I'll call it good for now.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Raise your hand if you have a really truly calibrated torque wrench??? Bueller? Bueller?? Bueller??? Ever check the wrench manufacturer's specified tolerance range??? Often larger than the required application fastener torque range. Ever really know and follow wrench use and care procedures?? Loosen fastener with torque wrench? Store wrench at torque setting??? Store wrench out of too bulky protective case??? Throw bare wrench in drawer with your heavy mauls and persuasion tools??? Pitch bare wrench in tool bag departing for field repair???? Look at all those Mr. Buellers out there.

Ever notice how obtuse the optics industry is regarding specifications? Torque specs have always been a "research" project. And, ring height is a guessing game. Low, Med High, Extra High, Nose Bleed High.... I'm kinda tall, will I fit under that ledge over there? Guess I'll have to call the ledge customer service..... They all should as an industry standard dump these meaningless words....none are standard among manufacturers.....and give the dimension from the base/pic rail mating surface to the scope centerline.......in bold copy on the package front, along with a basic sketch for clarity!!! Try to find the info on Leupold site......more time involved that finding that monster elk. And, every customer service rep will not know and throw out an "about" value or different values on subsequent calls. Been there; done that. You can't begin to understand how many conversations I've had with optics engineers, reps, marketing types about this for 30+ years. Should be a career altering event for any Marketing type that doesn't do this, and any customer service rep that guesses, doesn't know, or gives the wrong info. There much better. Saddle burr for decades... :) :) :)
I have calibrated a torque wrench for a single torque. I would recommend not buying a torque meter. You could get pretty close with a wrench and some weight hanging off it!
Your comments are spot on. Somebody needs to develop an optical test standard, test scopes and share the results. If done properly, a lot of money could be made separating the wheat from the chaff!

clarity, light transmission, resolution....I think they can be measured. Color clarity....yep there to. Accuracy of settings? Yes. Do it again after 10000 cycles on all adjustments and 10000 recoil test!!!!

then charge scope makers for this independent testing. Would the $5000 optics be better than the$3000 better than the $1000?

sounds like when they standardized tow ratings! That ****ed folks off!

I'm remounting a scope in a set of Talley 30mm (4 screw) LW rings. Does anyone know the proper torque spec for these rings?
Fix It Sticks web site has a fairly comprehensive listing of firearm and optics manufacturer torque specs under Home Page heading upper right>Learn>Torque Specs. Note their fixed torque limiters are +/- 6%;......about +/- 8.4in=lbs for the Barrett MRAD barrel torque screws. All-In-One torque Driver is +/-10%. They are a little expensive, but really nice and handy.....about ho-hum accuracy....about as good as one will do in a handy device.

+1 on this. Vortex says no more than 15 in*lbs on rings. The instructions that come with the Wheeler scope mounting kit says 20-25 for lubricated #8 screws which are typical on the scope rings. I only use thread locker on the bases now days.
My latest Vortex scope arrived last week....18 inchlbs was max recommended....they even included the info on a clipped on tag with the scope.

I store my Wheeler wrench at zero to take the pressure off the springs. This may, or may not help.
I decided to set the wrench midway between 15 & 20 in-lbs. I'll call it good for now.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Well, heck. Never thought to bring my Wheeler back to zero. You made me get off my ...... and do so. Thanks.....I think.

+1 on this. Vortex says no more than 15 in*lbs on rings. The instructions that come with the Wheeler scope mounting kit says 20-25 for lubricated #8 screws which are typical on the scope rings. I only use thread locker on the bases now days.
I petty sure vortex say 18 in pounds
On rings I mount them every day

Another consideration I've never seen discussed is that as you go from 1 inch to 30 mm to 34 mm you should theoretically be able to decrease the torque. You increase the surface area gripped by the ring considerably as the diameters increase. If there are any engineers on here if they could chime in that would be helpful.

That's a mouthful. I believe that's was some good info. On the bottom note all I can say is amen.