Rilfe Group Fell Off

Coyote 101 I hope you are still listening. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. I am a 66 year old shooter with a secret I don't normally share. Many on here have gave good advise that I do not believe you have commented on. I raised a family on a fixed income in the heyday's of old and in order to afford what I wanted I had to learn early. Sarge would say Gunny are you sure that rifle is clean? Yes Sargent ! and he would always prove me wrong. He was a blessing and here is my secret. I spent over 30 years handloading and accurizing rifles to be what the southerners call bean rifles. Shot em HOT and shot em ALOT. I have always used brass brushes and bought my cleaner (Now shooters choice.) by the big can. Most rifles I acquired in my days were the ones guys would bring to me and say " I bought this 2 years ago brand new and it would shoot 1/4 moa at 100 all day long now I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. To which I would say, at the risk of insult " have you cleaned it well ? ". I know how to clean a rifle... My next move "well want to sell it ?" I would pick them up cheap and take them home tear em down soak em ,scrub em, and rinse and repeat as the saying goes. And **** if that rifle couldn't pick the eye out of a Ground Hog at a 100 yards. Point as you probably see already is this is the cheapest way to try to resolve your issue. We didn't have a lot of barrel makers back then like today. And I never let my barrels get hot ( unless a monster buck was trying to get away. LOL). And I never have re-barreled any of my rifles except a 10-22. Those banana clips sure made someone money. So I have ranted long enough, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas. Oh by the way , If you want to sell that rifle........

Are you running all shots through a chronie. If you are getting bad groups, and different speeds out of the rifle. Another thing you may want to check is the firing pin spring. May not getting same primer stride shot to shot.

It's been asked several times in the thread with no answer, but the case overall length growth in the OP needs to be clarified. I read it as the CBTO, as measured with bullet touching lands with an [hornady] oal gauge was reading 2.720 at one point, and now its reading 2.780. So, basically the bullets jumping 60/1000th more now. The simple answer may be to seat the bullet .060 shallower and bump the powder charge to regain original velocity. I think the Op did everything except bring the velocity back up. Not unreasonable to think a .060 additional jump could wreck a good load, and nodes many times hang around specific velocities.

Last edited:
I have a 25.06 Weatherby with Swarovski scope on it. My rifle groups fell off and opened up. At first I thought it was the scope so I sent it back to Swarovski. While it was gone I rechecked case length it had went from a 2.720 to a 2.780. Still using the same powder charge. i reloaded 2.780 and worked down. Replaced the scope tightened everything down and cleaned it. I dropped seating depth by 10 thousand increments. It finally grouped at 2.760 but not as tight as it used to. I had one flyer out of five shots. It used to group where I could cover them with a quarter at a 100 yards but that's gone. I'm lost I have been reloading for years. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ditto on good bore scope and looking for hard carbon stuck t chamber end. Never had luck cleaning for hard carbon with chemicals. Something
like JB bore paste always works for me. Don't get carried away, keep checking with bore scope.

I took that rifle today and used Barnes to clean my barrel. It took me about 2 hrs. Believe me it's clean. Then I reload COAL lengths @ 2.770. Three loads of IMR 4831 @ 50.5, 51.0, 51.5 an 52.0 times 3 and done the samething with COAL @ 2.775 again loading in all four powder charges. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to try to get to the range Friday. Still using the same powder and bullets. I will post the results. Thank y'all again.

My cousin Peter Anderson played lead guitar for Dwight for many years. Check out the song Little Sister. On YouTube. Peter does a guitar solo. He is the one with the beard. Too Funny!

I took that rifle today and used Barnes to clean my barrel. It took me about 2 hrs. Believe me it's clean. Then I reload COAL lengths @ 2.770. Three loads of IMR 4831 @ 50.5, 51.0, 51.5 an 52.0 times 3 and done the samething with COAL @ 2.775 again loading in all four powder charges.
Keep us posted. I ran a scenario through Quickload, and what it indicated was if you moved from 2.720 to 2.775, then the powder bump should be about 0.5 gr to get back original velocity. QL is saying around 3,030 fps, but take that with a grain of salt.

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner but weather has been bad and I haven't made the range. My new bore scope did finally come in and here are a few pictures from the throat of my barrel. I believe I know the answer, but your opinion would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1956.jpeg
    IMG_1956.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 37
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner but weather has been bad and I haven't made the range. My new bore scope did finally come in and here are a few pictures from the throat of my barrel. I believe I know the answer, but your opinion would be appreciated.
All barrels eventually do this. Some a lot worse than this and still shoot amazingly well. Borescopes can be….friend or foe. Just saying.

Thanks, I have lengthened my COAL and increased my powder charge but haven't gotten to the range. I guess that will tell.

Recent Posts