Rifles in the rain *important*

I don't know how water in a barrel could do that much I know in 1974 that piece of crap M16 still shot full of water but it would not shoot with any thing else in it like powder carbon or bullets if you didn't stop and clean it every 10 minutes Hell it probably had 10 carbon rings one for every other shot.

I agree and don't believe water alone was the cause either. Elkaholic has confirmed that to his own satisfaction, and it didn't take any effort to convince me. Rich did confirm carbon fouling. So that's the primary suspect. Or more specifically, wetted carbon fouling.

Difficult to recreate the same carbon conditions in his throat. And who wants to soak their barrel in water over and over again in the effort to confirm the affect of wet carbon. I prefer to keep my rifles dry, rather than repetitively soaking them for test purposes. Thus prevention is the simplest path of least resistance going forward.

In a pinch PB Blaster works great as a hornet killer too. Will knock em outa the air dead on contact.

Steve

I agree and don't believe water alone was the cause either. Elkaholic has confirmed that to his own satisfaction, and it didn't take any effort to convince me. Rich did confirm carbon fouling. So that's the primary suspect. Or more specifically, wetted carbon fouling.

Difficult to recreate the same carbon conditions in his throat. And who wants to soak their barrel in water over and over again in the effort to confirm the affect of wet carbon. I prefer to keep my rifles dry, rather than repetitively soaking them for test purposes. Thus prevention is the simplest path of least resistance going forward.
Which brings us back to the Gun Slicker, which I learned about in this thread. I ordered 3 (@ only $24.95 each) from Alpine Innovations (the mfr) and received them in 3 days. They really do fit well and are super easy to apply. They also roll up into a small carrying pouch. Check out their website.

PB B really works well on carbon. I use a piece of tubing in the chamber and squirt it in with the muzzle down. Let set for 5-10 minutes.

Do you use a bore brush or just a patch with the PB after it sets for 5-10 minutes? Does the PB remove any copper? What solvent do you use after the PB to finish up with? I have been doing the Bore Tech Eliminator for my cleaning chores, but not sure if it has any effect on a carbon ring.

Do you use a bore brush or just a patch with the PB after it sets for 5-10 minutes? Does the PB remove any copper? What solvent do you use after the PB to finish up with? I have been doing the Bore Tech Eliminator for my cleaning chores, but not sure if it has any effect on a carbon ring.

I normally only use patches unless shooting cast bullets. I can't prove it removes copper as I usually run a patch or 2 through to remove the PB then clean with wipe out. The first parch through to remove the PB will squeak.

Has anyone tried the scooe coat or barrel tex? Seems like electrical tape will do tge rain but not failsafe from tree branches, muzzle crown to a rock etc..

Guys I just skimmed over this thread ,and wow lots of awesome material here as I am a Sheep hunter for 20+yrs now so wet is the norm . The question I have is ,and I may have missed the answer on this ,and I will re read but I have always taped my barrel ,and for past 5 years now my gun wears a solo hunter gun coat to keep weather off gun/ action, and this method has never failed me thus far that I am aware of . My new build I have has a break on it so I guess taping is now out of the question so is my only option a rubber glove finger over end of barrel ,and what will happen if I fire with glove over end covering break. I do have the option of removing break for hunting season too but would prefer to leave on if possible .

The brake will disintegrate the rubber glove finger, or electrical tape into little tiny pieces. It does on mine, anyway. Neither will have any effect on the accuracy, but either will go a long way to prevent anything from getting into the bore from the muzzle end.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.