Rifles in the rain *important*

Inside the barrel condensation is most often from people that take their rifle in the truck by the heater or inside the warm cabin back at camp. A good rifle case will insulate against condensation as well as pad against dents & scratches.
Guys especially tall guys that stalk under mesquite and brush trees will find the muzzle down carry means way fewer "hangups" AND if you use the Peter Capstick left hand swing out mount...you can get into a hasty sling offhand position very quickly. IF you move your sling stud to the middle of the buttstock just in front of the recoil pad...across the body carry puts the flat of your stock against your back very comfortably. Much better than the heel of the pistol grip and trigger guard digging into your back.

This has been a great read. My dad missed a nice 3 point buck last fall on a day it rained hard most of the morning. He had just worked himself out of a reprod thicket to see the buck standing broadside at just 75 yards. He was able to get a solid rest on a tree and the shot felt perfect, but he said the buck didn't react on the shot. While he was reloading, the buck just trotted off to safety. We were able to track him in the wet ground easily for a long distance but no blood or signs of injury. Afterwards we shot the rifle to check POI and the first shot was off 6", the second shot came back into the target but not back to original POI. We suspected the moisture but now you all have confirmed it. Thank you

This has been a great read. My dad missed a nice 3 point buck last fall on a day it rained hard most of the morning. He had just worked himself out of a reprod thicket to see the buck standing broadside at just 75 yards. He was able to get a solid rest on a tree and the shot felt perfect, but he said the buck didn't react on the shot. While he was reloading, the buck just trotted off to safety. We were able to track him in the wet ground easily for a long distance but no blood or signs of injury. Afterwards we shot the rifle to check POI and the first shot was off 6", the second shot came back into the target but not back to original POI. We suspected the moisture but now you all have confirmed it. Thank you

It is pretty amazing! Thanks for the post...........Rich

The older I get the more of a fair weather hunter I become. Now I know it has nothing to do with age. :D:rolleyes:

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.