Rifle wont chamber a round

reeldawg

I just got my rifled action ceracoated. Now the bolt won't close with a round in it. Anyone got any ideas. I have double checked cases and it won't chamber an empty case.

Thanks

Jay

I just got my rifled action ceracoated. Now the bolt won't close with a round in it. Anyone got any ideas. I have double checked cases and it won't chamber an empty case.

Thanks

Jay

well to me it is one of two things, One simple and one a little more complicated.

Could be ceracoat on the bolt locking lugs or the locking lug recess. Simple clean it out.

Or

They removed the barrel when they did the action and did not reinstall the barrel as it originally was creating a headspace problem.

Dawg, I had a Cerakote done on a bolt action rifle and the bolt was a bit tighter from some coating on the lugs. The Cerakote wore off fairly quickly back to the previous bolt throw.

Make sure there is no sand blasting grit anywhere, chamber and bolt nose recess are prime spots, also the extractor can get grit behind it which won't allow it to depress and let the round go into the bolt face, just push a case into it with it out of the action.

Bigngreen was on the money. It was grit under the ejector. Thanks for the help

Jay

I would strip that bolt down completely then and clean it all. If there is grit in the ejector then it is probably in the rest of the parts.

DSC_3221_zps1a17be2e.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.