Rifle Help, Please

Pelicanpoint

I recently purchased a custom 270 WSM here on this forum and shocked at how misrepresented it was once I received it. First of all…I was so hyped when my FFL called and said it had arrived! While inspecting the rifle for the first time, it discharged several times while going from 'safe' to 'fire'. Obviously, the trigger had been messed with and set to a very unsafe tension. Next, after adjusting the trigger to a safe level, I figured out the rifle will not chamber factory ammunition (I did try several types). I'm not a gunsmith by any means and have reached out to the seller, with no response. Shouldn't all this info have been disclosed by seller? Geeze! What are my options for this rifle at this point? Thanks in advance. Here is the rifle info from seller's original post:

270 WSM built by Mesa Precision Arms with the following components:

- Bighorn Origin long action, nitrided, bedded, pinned 20 MOA rail
- Mesa Precision Arms Carbon Altitude stock with Alpine color
- BSF Carbon barrel, 26", 1:8.75 twist, 5/8x24 thread, .930" muzzle diameter, 40 rounds down the barrel
- Tuned Remington 700 trigger breaking at about 2.5 lbs
- Wyatts DBM

I think there are two separate issues…one is how the rifle isn't as described, or at least key info may have been omitted. Two is how to get it working well.

Try to resolve #1 before working on it or having a gunsmith work on it or the seller may claim that the issues are due to you messing with it.

Bit I'd be very ****ed about #1.

You can continue to reach out to the seller in hopes for some response - Save any and all communications you have with the seller in case you want to use them later for any legal action
Take your rifle to a gunsmith and have them give it 100% once over. It will be worth it to have it inspected should you choose to keep it. They will align to any issues you are having and fix. Also if you do take legal action, the gunsmiths inspection will help your case.

First things first. This sucks!
Secondly, this still sucks!
Take that rifle to a competent GS and have them run a GO Gauge in it…I will bet the bolt won't close on it.
Have the 'smith detail a list of ALL issues, email Mesa with the complaint, after all it is their work.
I could easily run a reamer into the action/chamber to get factory ammo running in it.
I have just had to adjust a new Sendero for this reason, factory ammo would not chamber and a GO Gauge would not close on it. All up took .003" out and it works fine now. Base to belt was .217", needs to be .220".

Cheers.

Update.....

Still haven't heard from the seller. I have reached out to Mesa and they are being very helpful. It's a shame that this great forum has people that will take advantage of others, knowingly. Thanks for all the helpful info.....it's greatly appreciated!

I would post the sellers info which "might" prompt him to make good on the issues you have noted. It's also helpful to the LRH community to know who is and who isn't standing behind their sold items.

I would NOT take the rifle to your gunsmith because this gives the seller an out. He could claim anything once your smith touches/fixes the rifle. The rifle should be sent to the manufacturer for evaluation. It may have been a manufacturing issue to begin with although it sure doesn't sound that way. It would be hard for the seller to refute the findings of the rifle builder.

Just my 2 cents.

I would post the sellers info which "might" prompt him to make good on the issues you have noted. It's also helpful to the LRH community to know who is and who isn't standing behind their sold items.

I would NOT take the rifle to your gunsmith because this gives the seller an out. He could claim anything once your smith touches/fixes the rifle. The rifle should be sent to the manufacturer for evaluation. It may have been a manufacturing issue to begin with although it sure doesn't sound that way. It would be hard for the seller to refute the findings of the rifle builder.

Just my 2 cents.

X-2

@Pelicanpoint

Post it in the Buyers and Sellers Feedback as not to violate forum rules