help please

kory

just got a killer deal on sellier & belliot ammo for my .338 lapua magnum and i camt find any balistics info to set/make adjustments with my turrets i was wondering if anyone knows how to get this or if someone knows im trying to figureout how many clicks for yards new rifle... thanks

Seller & Belott make a lot of ammo, but I assume you're working with the 250 grain HPBT .338 Lapua Magnum from their inventory.
With no more information than the type, style and weight of the bullet there isn't enough to work with in determining ballistics data that will help you set preliminary sight adjustments.
You will need at least bullet weight, BC (preferably G7), muzzle velocity, height of scope tube center relative to center of the bore and the maximum range you intend to shoot for the basic ballistics data.

i just need to know how many inches it drops for lets say 100,200,300 and so forth i can figure out the rest

i just need to know how many inches it drops for lets say 100,200,300 and so forth i can figure out the rest

You seem to be pretty new to this. There are ALOT of individual factors that play into determining the drops for your particular rifle with that 1 particular load. Every gun is individual.

Sight it in dead on at 100, then shoot 200 and 300 and measure the amount of drop, just remember it won't be exact unless the rifle is perfectly level, no uphill or downhill pointing of the barrel to the target. It will be easier to determine if you have a chronograph, also.
You will need the BC, although if you have the muzzle velocity and amount of drop at 300, you can calculate the BC on most ballistic programs.

Cheers.
gun)

The amount of "drop" of a bullet over distance is not linear; it is exponential. Knowing how much your bullet drops at 200, 300, 400 yards by shooting targets at those distances using a constant POA will allow you to determine how much input you'll need to adjust the scope for those distances but it will not be accurate (unless you can shoot groups at .25 MOA at those distances). In order to develop a formula for calculating the information you are looking for you need some solid data - guess work will only support the GIGO theory.
However, if you do shoot 200, 300, etc. targets and collect the diminishing point of impact distances, just remember that your scope's "clicks" are cumulative. If your scope adjusts 1/4 inch per "click" at 100 yards that one "click" will change your POI 1/2 inch at 200 yards, 3/4 inch at 300 yards, etc.
I'd suggest you read what you can find on MOA factors for scope adjustment and get a good book on ballistics.
Here's the best one I'm familiar with:
Amazon.com: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting : Understanding the elements and application of external ballistics for successful long range target shooting and Hunting (9780615452562): Bryan Litz: Books

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.