Rifle explosion

There have been accidents where someone loaded a shorter cartridge with a larger projectile into a longer chamber. Strangely, the longer chamber allowed the bullet to enter the neck area and supported the case with a proper headspace to allow ignition upon firing. (Think 270W with a 308 cartridge or similar mistake). The results are never good!

What action is that? That bolt handle and receiver look very different to me--- Blaser R8?

If it is, I thought the bolt locked directly into the barrel/extension like on an AR style rifle. I would think it would be pretty strong-- you can see the side of the barrel seems to be splayed open. I know that the switch barrels on an r8 can be changed by hand with just an Allen wrench--- I'm no expert on an r8 but could the bolt head have been the wrong one for the barrel/cartridge? --- that is if this was an R8 .

Sorry to hear of his injuries- glad it wasn't worse--

Added note- looks like a box of factory ammo on the bench and not reloaded ammo.
Definitely not a Blaser, they don't have hinged floor plates or locking lugs like that bolt has.

Looks to be of the "straight pull" variety though-- right? Or is the receiver mangled so much that I'm just not seeing thing right?
To me it looks like a 2 lug Vanguard action. The ammo box on the table is Barnes mono factory ammo. As mentioned above, 308 in a 257 bore. Speculation on my part as to "action".

To me it looks like a 2 lug Vanguard action. The ammo box on the table is Barnes mono factory ammo. As mentioned above, 308 in a 257 bore. Speculation on my part as to "action".
I saw the 308 in 1/4 bore part-- doesn't look like a vanguard to me though-- I screen shot and zoomed in-- can't tell if it has actual "lugs" or not due to image quality-- but I don't see a "race" for a standard bolt throw on the receiver-- who all is making straight throw rifles? Blaser, savage ( doesn't look like a savage) , browning and Beretta ( doesn't really look like either) -- I know there are some international companies not offered in the states Screenshot_20220906-102328_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220906-103335_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The bolt looks long though so maybe it's just so distorted it's hard to tell

Last edited:
You can't close the bolt in these situations. I was sitting next to a guy at the range one time, and he was having all kinds of issues. I was watching him try and chamber a round in his brand new rifle, and he kept complaining about the gunsmith not building it right tonhis buddy who was with him. He could not get the bolt to close. I asked if he needed help, and he asked if I could take a look.
I asked what he was shooting, and he said "6mm Creedmoor". Barrel was engraved as "6 Creed". Ammo....6.5 Creedmoor. I told him he had the wrong ammo. He had 6.5CM ammo. He said...."Same thing, dude." I laughed and said "Yeah, sure, same thing. 6mm and 6.5mm must be the same measurement. My bad. You should take it back to the gunsmith and show him how he messed up and demand a refund." Then went back to shooting as they packed up and left.

Had a similar incident with .308Win ammo in a .260 Rem. Bolt wouldn't close, but the guy was a very nice and super appreciative person that time. He seemed genuinely shaken by the incident.

Looking at the brass on the table in the photos, it looks pretty good size. Maybe something like a .338WM in a .300RUM? You could maybe close a bolt on those two?

I saw a .308 win get fired out of a 270 Winchester one time. The bolt closed fine, but didn't open so well after firing! Nothing blew up either. This was in a savage 110.

I saw a .308 win get fired out of a 270 Winchester one time. The bolt closed fine, but didn't open so well after firing! Nothing blew up either. This was in a savage 110.
You saw a 308 diameter get fired down a 270 tube? Bullet just stop at the lands?:oops: