Rifle explosion

It has some resemblance to my Kimber 84M, most likely a Kimber. A piece of brass on bench looks like a .300WM that was not involved with the Kaboom. The Kimber classic select grade, Walnut stock, is chambered in .300 WM. My guess is ball pistol powder like TiteGroup loaded in .300 WM. Never ever shoot ammo loaded by unknown sources. Pistol ball powders resemble many slow burning rifle ball powders and can get easily confused. Blood on concrete floor, scary.

Last edited:
Danggg! So many new shooters and wonder if we will see more and more of this going forward. An amputation is a painful reminder the rest of his life. Lucky not worse.

Wonder if Leupold will warranty the scope?

You saw a 308 diameter get fired down a 270 tube? Bullet just stop at the lands?:oops:

The bullet exited the barrel but didn't hit the target.

A guy I used to work with did it by accident. He was shooting both rifles at the range and loaded the savage with the wrong ammo.

He brought it to me to fix. I ended up using a barrel vise and a rubber mallet to get the bolt open.

The barrel looked fine, but we rebarreled it anyway. It's still shooting well last I heard.

Great reminder to be safe while reloading!
What we do daily can be a dangerous game if we don't pay close attention to detail while reloading on the bench!!
Thank God it wasn't worse!

The bullet exited the barrel but didn't hit the target.

A guy I used to work with did it by accident. He was shooting both rifles at the range and loaded the savage with the wrong ammo.

He brought it to me to fix. I ended up using a barrel vise and a rubber mallet to get the bolt open.

The barrel looked fine, but we rebarreled it anyway. It's still shooting well last I heard.
Well, I learn a new thing every day. Thanks for the response.
I just didn't even think it was possible.