Rifle Cleaning

FWIW, I've treated all my barrels with Sentry Solutions' Smooth Kote (molybendum disulfate). The treatment process entails getting the barrel down to clean, bare metal (including rubbing alcohol to remove any cleaning solvent residues), then applying the Smooth Kote - first in liquid form, then in powder form.
Subsequent barrel cleanings entail using a dry nylon brush and dry patches.
I'm not a benchrest shooter, but I do shoot regularly, usually at medium range, in several calibers.
Because the treatment is applied to the barrel, and not the bullets, I have never developed a moly ring in any of my barrels.
I've had excellent results so far, from 300 Wby down to 243 Win.
(FWIW, the ease of cleaning had also helped my young son stay on track with cleaning his own rifles.)
The Smooth Kote must be periodically re-applied, depending on how much one shoots, the caliber, etc.

As a hunter mostly, I clean after every Range session. Same goes for long range.
However, I always shoot three shots before hunting with the chosen rifle. That usually produces a "flyer" in one of those three rounds. Once that happens I am comfortable to go to the field with it. Have taken over 100 African animals and never had a lost animal. Twice I did have bad shot placement but in both cases it was scope related. Did I mention that I clean my rifles after every use?

A lot of cleaning 'lore' comes from decades ago when factory barrel manufacturing tolerances were different from today.

Read the barrel. What is it telling you ? Don't fix what isnt broken but if you feel better about adopting a cleaning regime than do it.

This is a great example. As I mentioned I usually full bore clean at 100 rounds. This rifle is at 230 since last cleaning and look at groups still. Why clean it lol
View attachment 144327
And what happens when you clean the bore?

I clean after shooting is finished for the day, and may clean during shooting session (not typical). I clean to preserve bore condition, not for accuracy.

Great thread!

If .75 MOA is good enough, clean when you feel like it. If you want to make little Bench Rester type groups, then you have to clean like they do, which is scrub it frequently until completely clean. With some barrels this is far easier than others. Any cleaning requires bore guides, jags, and good supplies. I wouldn't recommend nylon brushes as they don't get the job done most of the time.

For me they just don't break up the fouling, I could clean for forever with them. I tried them for years and ended up with some permanently fouled barrels. Until I switched to traditional bronze brushes, they have been bronze for 100's of years for a reason.