Rifle choice poll

Which rifle

• Total voters

MontanaOutdoorsman406

I am looking at buying a new long range rifle and want opinions on the best choice all will be chambered in 6.5 creedmoor the savage grs is a heavy barreled model 10 with 24" barrel and the berserk stock howa grs is same as savage but 1500 action and the howa long range has a 26" barrel heavy profile with bell and Carlson stock. Pros and cons and other suggestions appreciated thank you.

I just purchased the sako a7 'range' in a 6.5 creedmoor. I know it's not on your list but I can give it a shining endorsement. Has the bell and Carlson m40 imitation stock. Had a 26" barrel. And would fit alongside your list

I just purchased the sako a7 'range' in a 6.5 creedmoor. I know it's not on your list but I can give it a shining endorsement. Has the bell and Carlson m40 imitation stock. Had a 26" barrel. And would fit alongside your list
Thank you for the response I haven't looked at that rifle yet but I have had a tikka t3 and it shot excellent.

Before purchasing I compared the the tikka ctr in a 26" barrel but went with the a7 because the stock felt higher quality. I've been shooting factory rounds and results have been awesome, with a tweaked load I'm thinking it will be my best shooting gun. Judging by initial results thus far. I shot seven factory shells over my chrony, five shots measured from 2650-2680 and created a 1.1" group at 200yds. Two shots were drastically faster and laid an inch and two inches away.

Before purchasing I compared the the tikka ctr in a 26" barrel but went with the a7 because the stock felt higher quality. I've been shooting factory rounds and results have been awesome, with a tweaked load I'm thinking it will be my best shooting gun. Judging by initial results thus far. I shot seven factory shells over my chrony, five shots measured from 2650-2680 and created a 1.1" group at 200yds. Two shots were drastically faster and laid an inch and two inches away.
Do you think the 6.5 creedmoor will be enough for elk in reasonable range?

Such a simple question begets the most complicated answers.

I chose Howa LR because I like B&C stocks. I've wanted to try a GRS, however, at this time it does not fit my shooting style.

That said every Savage 6.5 that shows up at the range shoots lights out from bullet one. Just this previous weekend one of our shooters showed up with a new Savage. Can't remember the exact model and it's not important. What is important is that with a bore sighted rifle she rang the 1,000 yard gong in 5 shots. Yes you read that correctly. 4 shots to correct elevation and windage then clang. It was the 5th non-factory bullet through the rifle. She then repeated hitting the steel until her first windage caused miss. Then when home.

If you like the GRS stock, Savage has that now too.

I have never shot the Howa or seen one at the range but I own and have seen various Savage models that shot very well. My 6.5x284 LRH and 260LRP will consistently shoot into a 1.5" circle at 500 yards with handloads.
**** ! Greyfox I wanna shoot just like you when i grow up !

Last edited:
Another vote for the Savage here. My stock pencil profile barreled Savage in .300win mag consistently holds under .5 moa. It moves when it heats up but it's the first shot that matters. First shot cold bore at 100m today
20170903_184631.jpg

Thank you all for your responses I ended up going with a 7mm Rem Mag for more effectiveness on game I held a sako a7 long range and it fit me well and I liked the fit and finish and the action is butter smooth

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.