Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Tikka T3

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bigeclipse

I have a thread about this already so I appologize but I wanted to start a poll on it. I am looking for a no non-sense rifle to shoot out to 500 yards in 300win mag. Budget is ~1000$ plus or minus a bit. This is the furthest i can shoot here in NY so probably will never shoot further but I guess you never know. It does not need to be light weight as I already own a light weight rifle that i trust out to 300 yards for those long walk days in the woods BUT I also may want to avoid an extremely heavy weight rifle ( I know a few of the options I listed are heavy rifles) as I will need to walk a few hundred yards to the field locations I would use this rifle. I think max distance I would need to carry is a quarter mile. I will be shooting from multiple positions: Sitting/standing with shooting sticks, off a stable shooting rail in one particular tree stand, and occasionally prone. I will never be shooting it off hand. I know every company has lemons...but would like to avoid the more lemon prone companies. I will most likely not be customizing this rifle...but I do like the idea the savages can be re-barreled rather easily by yourself and the remingtons have lots of support so those are a plus. thanks guys!

117 views and only 11 votes? lol did I pick the wrong rifles lol...please feel free to leave comments if there are other rifles I should be looking into.

It was tough choosing between the Sendero and the 5R..... I have quite a few Senderos and a 5R Milspec. Both models are insanely accurate.

I am a sucker for fluted barrels, so I chose Sendero. But you can't go wrong with either one. 26" barrels are the way to go.

It was tough choosing between the Sendero and the 5R....

5R....Insanely accurate, fit and finish is awesome, and its got a conservative look that I prefer over the black flutes of the sendero. If it was an older all black sendero it would be hard to choose.

All of the rifles can be accurate (If you are lucky). If you are not then it is a different story.

I would rate the 700 Remington #1 strictly because of the number of aftermarket parts available
if it does not shoot as well as you like.

The Remington's respond well to anything you do to them and with all of the parts available
the Sendero can be extremely accurate and are a good foundation to build on.

Some of the brands have almost no parts available and if you get one that doesn't shoot you are stuck.

my next choice would be the Savages for the same reasons. The downside to them is the aftermarket barrels made for them. I have repaired or replaced many of these barrels because of there quality. The factory Savage barrels are better than most aftermarket barrels, so buying another barrel will not necessarily get you the same accuracy.

I have nothing against the other rifles, but prefer to leave my options open so that if I do buy a
looser I can do something about it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

All of the rifles can be accurate (If you are lucky). If you are not then it is a different story.

I would rate the 700 Remington #1 strictly because of the number of aftermarket parts available
if it does not shoot as well as you like.

The Remington's respond well to anything you do to them and with all of the parts available
the Sendero can be extremely accurate and are a good foundation to build on.

Some of the brands have almost no parts available and if you get one that doesn't shoot you are stuck.

my next choice would be the Savages for the same reasons. The downside to them is the aftermarket barrels made for them. I have repaired or replaced many of these barrels because of there quality. The factory Savage barrels are better than most aftermarket barrels, so buying another barrel will not necessarily get you the same accuracy.

I have nothing against the other rifles, but prefer to leave my options open so that if I do buy a
looser I can do something about it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I thought Pac Nors and such have been known to be very accurate on savages. The reason I was leaning towards the savage fcp hs was because if it was not a shooter out of the box due to barrel I could change that myself. If it was due to bedding...I would learn but barrel swap on remington would involve a gun smith which no one around here is so I would either be driving 5 hrs or shipping it off

I thought Pac Nors and such have been known to be very accurate on savages. The reason I was leaning towards the savage fcp hs was because if it was not a shooter out of the box due to barrel I could change that myself. If it was due to bedding...I would learn but barrel swap on remington would involve a gun smith which no one around here is so I would either be driving 5 hrs or shipping it off

I have had problems with all pre chambered barrel no matter who did the chamber. I don't know
why but they seem to do no better than the factory. And when I have tried to resolve an issue with the barrel maker, they just said it was installed incorrectly and took no responsibility.

At least you are dealing directly with a smith and have some recourse if you have one installed by a smith.

Some folks have probably been very happy with the pre chambered barrels, But of course I never hear from those people.

As said earlier, I do lots of Savages that have problems with multiple barrels and the problems is sometimes the thread fit with the nut, recoil lug, and many other things that only a good smith will find and fix.

I have a long list of problems that have come out of some reputable barrel makers, because they don't have to test the rifle so they miss a lot of things that you will/may find after it is assembled.

A good gun smith can be invaluable when it comes to very accurate rifles, there are very good Gun smiths on this site and so far I have not had to fix any of there rifles. But there are lots that claim to be gunsmiths and I see there work all the time.

You may luck out and get a good rifle and or a good replacement barrel for the Savage if so great.
but don't be surprised if you don't.

J E CUSTOM

I have had problems with all pre chambered barrel no matter who did the chamber. I don't know
why but they seem to do no better than the factory. And when I have tried to resolve an issue with the barrel maker, they just said it was installed incorrectly and took no responsibility.

At least you are dealing directly with a smith and have some recourse if you have one installed by a smith.

Some folks have probably been very happy with the pre chambered barrels, But of course I never hear from those people.

As said earlier, I do lots of Savages that have problems with multiple barrels and the problems is sometimes the thread fit with the nut, recoil lug, and many other things that only a good smith will find and fix.

I have a long list of problems that have come out of some reputable barrel makers, because they don't have to test the rifle so they miss a lot of things that you will/may find after it is assembled.

A good gun smith can be invaluable when it comes to very accurate rifles, there are very good Gun smiths on this site and so far I have not had to fix any of there rifles. But there are lots that claim to be gunsmiths and I see there work all the time.

You may luck out and get a good rifle and or a good replacement barrel for the Savage if so great.
but don't be surprised if you don't.

J E CUSTOM

I would say the vast majority of folks with pre-fit Savage barrels are happy. I have one on 300 WSM that shoots 1 inch at 300 yards and cleans up with no barrel brushing. It's fantastic. I'm taking it on a long range antelope hunt in September. I'm sure there can be problems, but I think I am hearing a little bias here.

Plus, If I send a barrel back to my pre-fit maker with a description of the issue. They would not tell me to kiss their a**. They would look at the barrel and replace if necessary or provide guidance on what my issue might be.

I picked up a Remington 700 SPS for under $500. Threw on a B&C stock and Timney trigger. Got the whole thing fitted out for under $1000.

I have owned a few Rem 5R Milspec 308's that were .25MOA right out of the box. Used mostly with competitive shooting, some hunting. My current ELR hunting rig is a Rem 5R Milspec in 300WM with a 24" barrel. Mounted with a NF G7 5x22x50 shooting 210Bergers or LRAB's at 2900FPS it's deadly accurate well past 1000 yards. The 5R barrel cleans fast, holds accuracy with high volume shooting, and will hit POI hot, cold, clean, or dirty IMO these rifles are one of the best kept secrets in out of the box rifles. A little difficult to get your hands on one though. They are not a catalog item for Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.