Rifle Build

Anschutz

Hey everyone,

I'm finally starting to piece together everything for a build. My plan so far is to take my savage stagger feed short action .243 and build a LR deer and below gun. I've researched this several times but life got in the way (read: met an awesome girl and put a ring on it) but now I'm at a place where I can start the gathering of parts. Here's what I have come up with so far.

Action: Savage
Stock: B&C Medalist black with red webbing
Barrel: Shilen, McGowen, or XCALIBER varmint profile .243 win 1-8 twist 26" still researching
Scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA
Rings: Not sure, but a EGW 20moa base for sure
Bipod: Again I'm not sure.

I reload, so ammo won't be a problem. I plan on shooting the 87 vmax to 105gr offerings. I'd like to throw 115s but the twist needed seems like it would destroy less bullets.

I'm gone until November or so, so lead times aren't much of a problem. Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks
Zach

Sounds like a rifle I'd like to have. :)

Only suggestion would be to drop the 20 MOA base and try the new Burris Signature Tactical rings with up to 40 MOA inserts. Think this would keep the scope lower.

Sounds like a rifle I'd like to have. :)

Only suggestion would be to drop the 20 MOA base and try the new Burris Signature Tactical rings with up to 40 MOA inserts. Think this would keep the scope lower.

I'll have to look into that. Only rifle I've shot at range was my dad's savage F-T/R in 308 at two 600 yard matches and a 1k match. The furthest I've had this rifle was 300 yds and it shot moa with reloads but just barely. I'll have to ask the Savage guys which barrel I should go with but I've heard good things about all of them.

I have a McGowen on a Model 12 300 WSM. It shoots great and is very easy to clean. I will get another the next go around. I have heard lots of positive comments on the other two as well. Only negative comments I have heard were concerning the Shilen, but I feel that is just because there are so many Shilens out there and I'm sure a bum one get out sometimes.

I have a McGowen on a Model 12 300 WSM. It shoots great and is very easy to clean. I will get another the next go around. I have heard lots of positive comments on the other two as well. Only negative comments I have heard were concerning the Shilen, but I feel that is just because there are so many Shilens out there and I'm sure a bum one get out sometimes.

I have been leaning that way as well. Now I'm trying to decide on contour (Savage Varmint?), Length (26 or 28), and Twist (95% on 1-8 but 1-7 is trying to get a say too). Again, I'm probably thinking too far into it as a 1-8 26" Varmint Contour will shoot from 87 to 105 great and still get over or darn near 3000 with 105s.

I'm also thinking of a .270, 7mm, or 300 WSM barrel so I can shoot the same stock and scope at larger game.

I have been leaning that way as well. Now I'm trying to decide on contour (Savage Varmint?), Length (26 or 28), and Twist (95% on 1-8 but 1-7 is trying to get a say too). Again, I'm probably thinking too far into it as a 1-8 26" Varmint Contour will shoot from 87 to 105 great and still get over or darn near 3000 with 105s.

I'm also thinking of a .270, 7mm, or 300 WSM barrel so I can shoot the same stock and scope at larger game.

I would say that you should look hard at the 7" twist. I know that with what I am doing with bullets and what will be coming in the future from myself and others, you will be glad for the 7" twist.

Steve

I would say that you should look hard at the 7" twist. I know that with what I am doing with bullets and what will be coming in the future from myself and others, you will be glad for the 7" twist.

Steve

Will the 1-7 be too hard on the lighter weight bullets to use them? I'm not trying to shoot coyotes with 115 dtacs. I'm not talking like a 58gr VMAX more the 75 and 87gr Vmax for the songdogs.

Will the 1-7 be too hard on the lighter weight bullets to use them? I'm not trying to shoot coyotes with 115 dtacs. I'm not talking like a 58gr VMAX more the 75 and 87gr Vmax for the songdogs.

Some thin skinned bullets do not like "too" much spin. I cannot answer for those bullets. I would call Hornady and see what they say about launching them in a 7". I can say that the mono's can pretty much be spun as hard as you want with no adverse effect. For what it is worth we have an 80g that you could run very hard.

Steve

I think I will stick with the 1-8 like originally planned. I'm thing that twist at 26" in a sendero profile will be the ticket.

I think I will stick with the 1-8 like originally planned. I'm thing that twist at 26" in a sendero profile will be the ticket.

Yep I think it will perform great. Just won't get you into heavy mono's. It will get into what I consider pretty cool stuff though. Even more so if you have a bit of elevation where you are.

Steve

I would go with an 8 twist. I have a 9 twist Lija on a 6XC I just rebarreled and it shoots the 87 V max and 105 A max in the .2-.3 at 100 yards and carries 1/2 moa to 1065 yards if I do my part.

Yep I think it will perform great. Just won't get you into heavy mono's. It will get into what I consider pretty cool stuff though. Even more so if you have a bit of elevation where you are.

Steve

I live in Colorado Springs so about 6500 feet of elevation. Berger says it will stabilize their 115 at that elevation but I'll stick with 105s most likely. Just ordered the barrel. Ended up going with the Remington Sendero contour 26" 1-8 from McGowen. Estimate is 16 weeks give or take so I'm hoping it will be timed right with my redeployment or I'll be paying the old man to ship it to me.

Steve

Steve, somehow I missed this part. What would you consider pretty cool stuff? I think the .243 is just a cool cartridge to begin with and has been used with regularity to kill everything from Prarie dogs to elk (though I suggest larger), has probably won at least 10 local BR matches, definitely has won LR prone matches, and even sees wide success in tactical matches.

Steve, somehow I missed this part. What would you consider pretty cool stuff? I think the .243 is just a cool cartridge to begin with and has been used with regularity to kill everything from Prarie dogs to elk (though I suggest larger), has probably won at least 10 local BR matches, definitely has won LR prone matches, and even sees wide success in tactical matches.

The "cool stuff" would be heavier higher bc bullets than what a standard twist would be able to handle. The only thing that holds bullet makers back is the lack of faster twist barrels out there to handle longer bullets. You are getting a bit faster than standard twist for the .243 cal and I think that is a good thing.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.