Rifle build on Mauser 98 action

Northman

I have been reading on this forum about using a Mauser action. Some are against it, some not. But here, its the cheapest action I can find for a new project.

So I will use this action. But Im not sure what caliber. It has a .06 boltface, so I'll go down that road. Im thinking about a 6-06, 6-284, 257 Wby Mag. Im really not sure what caliber. I want something fast,flat and brutal to the little critters. Biggest animal is foxes and beavers.

The 6mm has the advantage of high BC bullets, but since the distance is not to long (max 500 yards) speed makes up for BC.

One thing I dont want to do, is buy custom dies, for this caliber. It should be easy to get loading equipment. And no fire forming. Since its a fast cartridge, dont want to use my barrel to no avail. I would like to get barrel life in the 1500-2000 round mark. I dont shoot to much, I have 308 for this.

Any suggestions? I should tell you Im a bit biased towards the 257 Wby, just because it shoots fast as H@%l.

But I want input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a FN action and had it barreled in 240 Wby. The 240 Wby is one of the ballistic triplets. All three have the same case capacity and achieve the same velocities. The other two being the ones you mentioned. It has the correct bolt face. 257 Wby does not have the correct bolt face.

popular myth #1. Belted magnums are not accurate.
popular myth # 2 Wby brass is expensive
popular myth 3 FN are not accurate.

Here is a long discussion on 6mm and a picture of a target that shows what a 240 Wby is capable of on a mauser action in the hands semi idiot.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=80407&an=0&page=4#80407

I would advise you to go to a faster twist than one in ten. it will help you stretch the gun out to its maximum potential with bullets heavier than 100 grs.

Die availabilty is about the same for all three of the big 6mms. In fact you will find the 240 Wby die listed in amongst the wildcats for many of the die makers. Redding just flat out refused to make me a custom seating die for it. I was P O'ed big time

Nothing wrong with building on '98 action have two with Pac/Nor barrels and they will shoot in the .3's and better also I would like someone prove to me that there are stronger actions made per size and I'm not talking about having free bore.I also have several different actions that work well but don't think the '98 should be snubbed!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.