Rifle Build Advise

juglow

Hello LRH community. First, I want to thank you all for the support and knowledge I have learned from you. I still have a lot to learn and I have one big take away from my build I would like your feedback on. Let me say, I am still impressed with my build (7MM Saum) but I am a bit upset with myself and Lone Peak Arms (my action and those I sought expert advice from prior to ordering my Fuzion TI Magnum Action. I assumed based on my conversation with them, that I would have greater clearance being built as a magnum but that is not the case. Lessons learned; I should have ordered a medium action.

So here is my dilemma. Sorry, I don't know all the lingo yet. I got my action mid-July 2023 and just finished mid-January.
-I found that my bullet contacted the lands at 3.110". My Mag length is 2.990". I tried first by loading at 2.990 and the rounds would not feed (they hit the action before releasing up into the chamber). I tried cutting back the mag cartridge retainer so it would release the cartridge earlier and it did help but in order for the round to feed without cutting the mag back further, my overall length was 2.775". I did shoot 10 rounds at different charges and one charge literally shot through the same hole, below (I only shot 2 round groups). My concern, I am way too far off the lands for comfort and barrel life? I wanted it to be at mag length (Worse case) but I am well over 1/4" off the lands currently. I have not reached back out to Lone Peak yet for their advice.

This was my 100yd group at 2.775"

IMG_2637.jpg

Well SA actions are not the best with 7 saums shooting longer heavy bullets. You're not too far off the lands and I would not worry about that. Since you're so far off the lands I will say when you find seating nodes that far off the lands generally the node is extremely long and consistent so that's a plus in your favor. Did you start seating depth testing at your mag length and go down from there? You should be able to load up to around 2.950" with your seating and go from there. Not sure how you arrived at such a deep seating depth.

Longtine, agreed on the SA not being the best...i realize this now ;-) If i knew what i do now, i would have went at least a medium action.
To answer your question, i had to seat them deep in order for it feed from the mag. The bullet nose was getting hung up loading the next round...That is how i got to the overlength i did...i just kept taking it down until it fed from the mag I agree, i could probably get 2.95 but i would have to modify the mag some more. once i got an overall length, I started with a low charge and went up. 52-56gr respectfully of RL 23. Do you think if i can get 2.95", i will be ok. I wanted to be between .01 to .02 of the lands but that isn't possible without single feeding which i may just end up doing if there isn't a magical fix i am not thinking of.

Teh oregonian, i understand what you're saying. In total i shot 10 rounds with different charges. This was the best group but i think it could still get better if I tighten up the jump.

First off yes you should've ordered the Medium and they also should've told you that after clarifying what round you wanted, and secondly most actions with BDL cut are not set up to accept a DBM mag properly.. One major problem I have with all these guys making "custom" actions and custom bottom metal is they follow the mold of old and just build it to a frame that suites standard inlets and standard mags because its easy and makes them quick money ..
instead of designing and building a actual "custom" product that actually works with no mods needed>... sorry for the rant!!!

The action feed ramp will need a notch milled into it .. The nose of the round is hanging up up on the underside of the feed ramp because companies are working off of old ****. So we the consumer have to bubble gum their mistakes. This will get you full length use of your mag internally. (if this what is happening, from what I've seen it most likely is)

Like mentioned above .. no worries about being away from lands as there is no set in stone "distance" that you "must" be from lands in order to obtain great ES and accuracy. accuracy is accuracy whether its .005 into the lands or .150" off makes no difference .. Myself and a few others that i trust a lot have found stupid accuracy and low single digit ES as far off as .175" with Berger bullets.. You will not loose barrel life because of jump.. you loose barrel because of heat. again don't fear the jump

Last edited:
Elk Hunter 338 speaks the truth. Notching your feed ramp isn't difficult. I've had to do it to a few of mine. I've never read of anyone successfully modifying the magazine, since the bullet tip will still get caught under the feed ramp.

Remington 700 308 Win shooters have been dealing with excessively long freebore for ages, and our rifles still give us nice little groups.

Hello LRH community. First, I want to thank you all for the support and knowledge I have learned from you. I still have a lot to learn and I have one big take away from my build I would like your feedback on. Let me say, I am still impressed with my build (7MM Saum) but I am a bit upset with myself and Lone Peak Arms (my action and those I sought expert advice from prior to ordering my Fuzion TI Magnum Action. I assumed based on my conversation with them, that I would have greater clearance being built as a magnum but that is not the case. Lessons learned; I should have ordered a medium action.

So here is my dilemma. Sorry, I don't know all the lingo yet. I got my action mid-July 2023 and just finished mid-January.
-I found that my bullet contacted the lands at 3.110". My Mag length is 2.990". I tried first by loading at 2.990 and the rounds would not feed (they hit the action before releasing up into the chamber). I tried cutting back the mag cartridge retainer so it would release the cartridge earlier and it did help but in order for the round to feed without cutting the mag back further, my overall length was 2.775". I did shoot 10 rounds at different charges and one charge literally shot through the same hole, below (I only shot 2 round groups). My concern, I am way too far off the lands for comfort and barrel life? I wanted it to be at mag length (Worse case) but I am well over 1/4" off the lands currently. I have not reached back out to Lone Peak yet for their advice.

This was my 100yd group at 2.775"

View attachment 543039
I tell people all the time who question their results because of internet information about "what I am supposed to have or how it has to be". This load is showing incredible potential. Load it again with 3-5 rounds and shoot it. You didnt say what it was you were expecting in regards to the results. HOLY HELLO if it shoots 3-5 round groups like this no reason to reach out to anyone.

Thanks guys for taking the time and helping me work through this. This is my first build and probably my last honestly. I realize now, I should have gotten a medium action...setting my frustrations aside in myself and others I relied on...I am done with the build and now have to figure out what would be best.

My biggest concern was being so dang far off the lands and honestly scratching my head and super concerned why I was and my jump being so big. I was only ladder testing at different charges at the same seating depth from 52gr to 56gr of RL23. Agreed, at 100yd, I expect this gun to give me the same results with 3 more shots and I'll definitely do that.

My bullet tip is hitting center of the ramp (not under) and was sticking with OAL length at mag length because it would not slide up the ramp and depress the mag spring...that's why I cut the feed lips on the mag back. I can still cut it back more I feel. I'll load a round tonight and post up a video afterwards so you guys can see what it's doing. I looked into notching or polishing the ramp feed, polishing may allow it to feed better...it is a Ti action.

I haven't reached back out to my gunsmith on his thoughts as I feel what is done is done and there is no way to add metal back in.

I guess I am still confused on why you are concerned or confused in regards to the OAL. DUDE......WHO CARES??!! Its flippen working so stop worrying or jacking it around and shoot the dang thing!! Stop listening to all those who keep telling you what is best, or must be, or should be. IT FREAKING WORKS SO CLEARLY ALL THOSE SAYING WHAT IS BEST, MUST BE, SHOULD BE....ARE CLEARLY INCORRECT!!!!

Recent Posts