Pondering another build, advise on caliber?

DanielLudwig

I have been considering a light weight medium range build centered around an action I already have, and I'm stuck on a caliber. I want something in the 10lb range, fairly flat shooting with enough pop to be efficient on deer sized game out to 600yds. The action I am using is .53ish bolt face and OAL must be kept under 3.3" to work in the mag, and i would prefer a cartridge comfortable to shoot in a 10lb rifle without a brake. I am open to wildcats, short of full on custom rounds. I have considered a few factory rounds; 257 Weatherby, .264 Winchester, .270 Weatherby, 7mm Remington, 7mm Weatherby, 300 Winchester, but nothing really jumps out at me as head and shoulders above the rest. So please give me your opinions, they will be appreciated!
thanks
Daniel

Have you considered the .270WSM, or 6.5WSM? JohnnyK.

OOOOOH, I like the 6.5WSM idea or a 7SAUM. All these calibers to include the ones you have chosen will be very efficient to 600 and on out to around 1000 for deer. When I think 600yd rifle, I think .308 Winny, 243 Winny, 7mm-08, 260, 6.5x47, to which all of these accept the 243 are capable to 800. Though with the right bullet and load combo, the 243 can be effective to that range.

Tank

The WSMs have a .534 case head and would work in your action.

The 6.5, 7mm and the 300 WSM are good shooting and have plenty of power
for your needs.

They work best with center feed mag boxes.

Recoil is very manageable in a 10 pound rifle without a break.

J E CUSTOM

I like JE's suggestions.

However, I don't think 6.5mm WSM comes in a factory load.. does it?

If that's true, then I'd go with the 7mm WSM.

That may not be an issue for you.

Otherwise, it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

The 270 WSM is outstanding on deer in those ranges, recoil in a 10lbs rifle is not bad, factory ammo widely available as well as good brass, I've been pleasantly surprised with the 270 WSM when put on game and it doesn't us a bunch of MOA or time to get there.

The 270 WSM is outstanding on deer in those ranges, recoil in a 10lbs rifle is not bad, factory ammo widely available as well as good brass, I've been pleasantly surprised with the 270 WSM when put on game and it doesn't us a bunch of MOA or time to get there.

The 270 wsm really needs to have a custom throated barrel to be able to seat the longer bullets out. My bud had one made with a .300 throat. I have a .250 throat in my 270 AI with a 29 inch barrel Both of our rifles shoot the 140, 150. 169.5 very well

I have really come to like .280 Ackley. It seems to make really good use of the amount of powder and meets your requirements. Plenty of bullets to choose from. It's worth a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.