Rifle and load ready. Shooter needs some edumacation!

Alan Griffith

I feel my rifle and load are ready to start putting together a drop chart. The rifle, a Rem 700 in 30-06 Ackley shooting a Nosler 180 BT at 3061 fps from a Lilja 26" stainless barrel, looks like this
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/LowTPSringsKenFarrellbaseclose.jpg
The Ken Farrell bases will be sent back tomorrow so Ken can take .010" off the bottom. Should I have him give it an MOA cant or will my bullet velocity get me to 1000 yds? My scope is the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14-40 w/ side focus and mildot reticle set in Tactical Precision System aluminum 1" rings. The max internal adjustments is 50 MOA, according to the manuf specs.

My load gives this accuracy at 300 yds.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/3.jpg

If I understand MOA correctly and in conjunction with my 1/4" per click adjustments, each click will move me an 1/4" at each additional 100 yds. So, at 1000 yds one click would move my POI 2.5"? Using the ballistic calulator http://www.handloads.com/calc/, my 1000 yard drop for 3061 fps, 180 gr, 300 yd zero, .507 bc, sight height 1.7", 30 deg F, 4960' elev would be 223.04". If one click moves me 2.5" I would take 223 divide by 2.5 and get 89.2 clicks.

Am I heading in the right direction?

1 MOA @ 1000 = 1.047*10 or 10.47"

223.04" @ 1000 divided by 10.47 = 21.3 MOA

0.25 MOA/click = 8 MOA/revolution or 21.3/8 or 2.6625 full rotations of the turret (in the proper direction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) which would be 2 full turns + .6625/.025 or 2.65 clicks. Or 2 Full rotations + 2 clicks and a schochie bit of fudging like bite you cheek or something to adjust the cheek weld for the .65 of a click /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

GSSP

YES & NO
"If I understand MOA correctly"
Every thing you have shown is in INCHES NOT MOA
1 MOA = 1.047 inches at 100 yards
1 MOA = 10.47 inches at 1K
If your scope is 1/4" clicks why even think or say MOA??
USE INCHES AND BE DONE!!!
if your clicks are in MOA then convert to them.
I'm not familar with the buckmaster scopes is it 1/4" clicks or 1/4 MOA?

MOA is a unit of measure just like inches or meters.

Your outcome of 89.2 clicks for 223" of drop at 1K sounds right for 1/4" clicks.
For 1/4 MOA clicks it would be more like 85 clicks for 223" of drop.

Hope this makes sence!!
or E-mail me your phone number and I'll call you
you are on the right track for inches!! but it has nothing to do with MOA

CAM

If i am understanding MOA correctly, it can be used interchangably...... like for example, if my scope moves my bullet impact 1/4 inch @ 100 yards, it also moves my bullet 1/4 MOA@ 100. Now if I move back to 200 yards, my clicks will equal 1/2 of an inch, and 1/2 MOA @ 200 (MOA @ 200 = 2", 1/4 of 2 is 1/2). and so on. I may be wrong, if I am somebody please correct me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sharpshooter
They are not the same!!
If you like to "roundoff" your good to go!!
The longer the distance the more it matters!!
1 inch @ 100 yards DON'T = 1.047
10 inches @ 1K DON'T = 10.47
Granted thier CLOSE!!
In his example there is 4 clicks difference! 89.2 DON'T = 85
Is 10 inches close enuf @ 1K????
For most shooters that works for some it don't.
Now lets move out to 1500 or 2K "OOH YEAH MIGHT MATTER"

I'm not here to argue 1.000 = 1.047 IT DON'T!!
But do it matter?? that depends on the shooter and distance.

Other things could cause more problems like wind!!

CAM

Roy
You must have one of these scopes?
I don't. You lost me at .6625/.025??
2 full turns at 8 MOA would be 16 MOA plus 2 more clicks would be 16.5 MOA plus your schochie or bch YES/NO??
16.5 MOA is 19.2 clicks or 4.8MOA short
At 8MOA per turn you need at least 2.5 turns then some schochie. or 85.2 1/4MOA clicks.

This is why I don't count clicks!!
My scope is 10 MOA per turn.
any way how do you like the scope?
CAM

GSSP

you really want 20 MOA base as you will need most of that to get to 1000. If the scope has 50 MOA of travel, that is from each edge to the other which means you only have 25 MOA from the center. If you use a 20 MOA base and everything lines up perfectly (never does) you would be 5 MOA off the bottom and have about 45 MOA all the way up. Never go all the way to the bottom, they often have problems at the ends with movements.

also just because a scope is marked 1/4" does not mean that it is.

Set up a measured distance say 25" up/down and sideways at 100 yards. Take your rifle after zeroing at 100 and then lock it down in a rest with sand bags etc with the crosshair on either end and clik over to the ends of the line and count the clicks actually used. compare that to the 1/4 marking and see what each click ACTUALLY is and work your drop chart from there. it is quite common for most scopes to not be what they are actually marked.

BH

BountyHunter,

My Nikon has 242 clicks total or about 60.5 MOA (I'll use MOA for simplicity). I'm 67 clicks (16.75 MOA) from bottoming out. Are you saying that because Nikon says my MOA range is 50 MOA that the extra 10.5 MOA is non useable due to some distortion at the far end of the top and bottom?

If that is the case, and I do the math correctly, 50 MOA covers 200 clicks, leaving 21 clicks at each end. With being 67 clicks from the bottom subtracting 21 "non-usable" clicks leaves me with 46 clicks or 11.5 MOA. My brain is fuzzy now. How much futher out can I shoot?

GSSP
Got your number I call later today.
Bountyhunter knows his stuff! good sound advise!
Think of two circles one big and one small, as the small one has cross hairs and moves up and down in the big circle.
Or draw it on some paper, as the small circle is at the top/bottom you will see it will not move sideways very far!!
when the small circle is in the middle of the big circle it has max travel sideways (windage).

Also you want to keep some spring tension on the scope, you never want to back all the way off, with out spring tension the point of impact can change.

When you put the 20MOA base on your cross will have max windage at around 900 to 1K and be perfect just as BH said!

Talk to ya later today.
CAM

by using a the berger vld( 175-210) with the higher bc; . you will notice a difference in drop and windage when you are shooting at 1000 yards. i have never shot game only paper at 1K. roninflag

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.