Rifle accuracy.

Just curious what everyone considers acceptable accuracy for a rifle you plan on pushing out to say 1000 yards. I just started load development today for a savage 12 lrp in 260 Rem. So far with seating depth tests I have got it down to around 3/4 MOA at 100 yards and I'm hoping playing with powder charge will tighten it up some more. Doing this just got me thinking at what point do most people say that's good enough and just stick with a load.
This is a great question. For me I like to look at what extreme spread velocities I'm getting as well as the game hunted. For deer I consider a 10" plate the optimum kill zone. So at 1000 yards that's 1" or 0.96 MOA. With an extreme spread of 0 FPS you could say 1" gets it done, but that's not realistic. A 50 FPS E.S. could mean more than 10" of POI difference between high and low which I would not be comfortable with. I've seen one hole groups that measured small at 100 but still chronographed with over 60 FPS E.S. If that was the case I would limit my hunting range. For example I have a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA all day at 100 yards. The load shoots just under 20 FPS E.S. So if I put that through a ballistic calculator with a good estimate of environmental conditions I'll be hunting in, I get a 5" variance at 1000 PLUS 3.7" difference in drop between high and low velocities which gives me an 8.7" reliable impact zone. That's if I do my job behind the scope and doesn't completely account for variance in powder burn rate change with temperature or variable winds etc. Thusly this gun for me would be pretty maxed out on deer sized game. Not to say this can't be done but it goes without saying that the farther out you go the smaller the margin for error. Just how I figure out my maximum acceptable hunting range, but I think it illustrates why you can't just use a 100 yard accuracy for LR hunting. My short answer is 1/2 MOA at 100 to start, but I really hope you practice at real distances (if possible) as well to validate what's truly acceptable accuracy to harvest an animal. Try to chronograph if you have one to get a good idea of what your E.S.'s are. I know it was a simple question but honestly it's just not a simple answer IMO. Hope this helps.

A 100 yard test will not give you valid results for a long range platform. I have tested rifles that will shoot 1/4 moa at a hundred then open to 5 inches at 300y. I've also seen 3/4 moa rifles at a 100y shoot the same group at 300y. I would say a little more testing is in your future. If you truly are wanting to reach out there, really anything beyond 700y, you need to be practicing at a min of 300y. Just my 2cents.

1/2 moa or better. Usually under field conditions you have to expect your not shooting as good as on a bench or prone at the range. Physical exertion, excitement, environmental conditions etc.

After zeroing, I don't test any bullet at 100 anymore. Comparisons begin at 200 and like to see what it will do at 400.

To be comfortable shooting/hunting at any distance, you have to shoot out to that distance. No way you ever want to assume that if you have 3/4 MOA at 100 that you will get 3/4 MOA at 600, 800 or a 1,000. Likely MOA will increase beyond a certain distance even with the best shooting conditions.
My current rifles all shoot less than 1/3 MOA and I don't have opportunity for shots over 400.
If you do then you will want to shoot at those distances and still keep all your shots well within killzone. I would not be satisfied with 3/4 MOA.

RuninL8,
Why wouldn't a 1/4" at 100 not be a 1/4" at 300? What changes the accuracy?
1/4 MOA @ 100 doesn't guarantee 1/4 MOA groups at farther ranges. As you go farther, it is more difficult to attain that 1/4 MOA, wind becoming the major factor. And of course, any small error in marksmanship is multiplied at farther ranges.

A 100 yard test will not give you valid results for a long range platform. I have tested rifles that will shoot 1/4 moa at a hundred then open to 5 inches at 300y. I've also seen 3/4 moa rifles at a 100y shoot the same group at 300y. I would say a little more testing is in your future. If you truly are wanting to reach out there, really anything beyond 700y, you need to be practicing at a min of 300y. Just my 2cents.
When you say it shoots 3/4 moa and shoot the same group at 300 are you saying it shoots 3/4" at 100 and 3/4" at 300? If so how is that possible?

Just curious what everyone considers acceptable accuracy for a rifle you plan on pushing out to say 1000 yards. I just started load development today for a savage 12 lrp in 260 Rem. So far with seating depth tests I have got it down to around 3/4 MOA at 100 yards and I'm hoping playing with powder charge will tighten it up some more. Doing this just got me thinking at what point do most people say that's good enough and just stick with a load.
1/2" or better

In my experience, with proper load development, you should easily get 1/4 MOA or better with the .260 or other similar 6.5 cal. For 1000 yards, that should keep you under 2 1/2" .

RuninL8,
Why wouldn't a 1/4" at 100 not be a 1/4" at 300? What changes the accuracy?
Bullet stability, there are a few books out there that really dive into the topic, and if I'm honest, some of it goes over my head, but I get the general principles. Terminal ballistics is a whole other animal, and it's something you will need to start applying if you want to start shooting beyond 700y. Applied Ballistics book series and ballistics studies.com books are a great resource. For the practical side of things I actually build long range precision rifles and accurize factory rifles. I have literally shot the senecios I outlined. What it really boils down to barrel harmonics, that bullet leaving the barrel at approximately the same speed and in the same wave form every shot. In order for that to happen the rifle has to return to battery the exact same way ever single shot. I'm starting down a rabbit hole here, but just know a 100y test isn't enough. You can absolutely start there, but long range precision shooting will require more than that. I'm happy to got down the rabbit hole further, any questions just let me know.