Ridgeline 300 PRC 1-8 twist 180-225 gr bullets

Foster_65

good afternoon
I'm highly considering the ridgeline FFT in the 300 PRC. looking at this mainly for a lightweight packable elk rifle. id ideally like to shoot around a 200gr bullet. looking at the 200gr Nosler AB. i don't intend to shoot over 800 yards with his rifle. I'm concerned that the 8 twist might be to much for bullets this light. id like to know everyone's thoughts and experiences. is an 8 twist ok for this, would i NEED to shoot 225gr and up or will good 180 handle the fast twist ok? being this is primarily for an elk rifle id like use a well constructed preferably bonded bullet. i just dont have the confidence in the ELDX type bullets although i think they are fine if you have a broadside shot. I would be concerned on quartering shots or lack of penetration on close shots (most likely where i hunt). Maybe im barking up the wrong tree but im a big fan of the ridgeline and thats the only twist option. my other option might be fierce carbon rouge which has a 9 twist. wondering if anyone has any experience with a 8 twist PRC that is shooting bullets under 225 gr and how they are performing.

8 twist will be fine. At ~3000 FPS we're talking an RPM change from 210k to 240k to 270k going from 10 to 9 to 8 twists. The 200 AB will hold together, it's a tough bullet. Even the 180 will be fine. If you wanted to push a 125gn though you might get one to go poof.

Bullets coming apart... think more along the lines of it 350k+ RPM in longest bullets for bore. Even then there are more factors than just twist and velocity - bullet length vs caliber, jacket thickness, bonded core, bore condition, a bunch of things come into play to shred a bullet.

FWIW I shoot a lot of big 30s - PRC is the smallest of the big cases, and it goes up through Sherman Mag, RUM, Norma, Lapua, and soon XC. I do prefer 9 twists in the RUM but my 300 PRC and a 30 Sherman are 8 twists are shoot great. 8 twist 30-338 Lapua Improved is the fastest/largest combo I currently have and 245s are holding together. Some guys I shoot with are convinced they're going to start blowing up as the bore deteriorates but not yet.

Thank you. That's the info I was looking for. Do you think there would be any accuracy or consistency concerns?

No concerns at all. The weight of the rifle and how the stock fits you will be much more important to precision than the 8 twist. I would consider changing out the radial brake for something different like a Rokslide TI Pro 3. Radials just aren't as effective as side ported designs, and with a light rifle sucking whatever recoil you can out with a brake helps significantly.

You will be fine I **** those out of
My 30 Sherman "300 PRC improved"
8 twist zero issues.
That's being said eliminate worry especially at the distance you want. Load the 199 0r 203 hammer and be great for any situation. I've run those out over 1k zero issues and hit like a truck. FYI I'm also a huge nosler fan.