225 gr 338 pill, optimum twist rate?

bigngreen

I tried to get some info from Barnes but apparently e-mail isn't the best way, I'm wanting to put something together for the sole purpose of launching 200-225 gr 338 bullets in the 2600-2800 fps range. First choice is the 225 TTSX then the Accubond and Interbond so the question is what is the perfect twist rate for this size range?

I used to hunt with a 338 WSM XP-100 handgun and shot 200 gr Ballistic tips at 2750 fps out of its 16" barrel. Accuracy was amazing, well under 1/2 moa out to 600 yards using a Burris 3-12 handgun scope.

I used a Lilja 1-12 twist on that handgun. That said, if I had it to do over again, I would likely still go with the standard 1-10 just in case I decided to try something a bit heavier in bullet weight and also just to make sure that the bullet would stay on point in every situation imaginable.

I have several 338's twisted particularly for 200-225 grain bullets. I used 1-12 twist and they all shoot very well. I have been able to shoot hunting bullets up to 250 grains accurately with the 1-12 twist.

Thanks Kirby and LTLR! That was the exact info I was looking for, I'm trying to put together a 338WSM for kinda of a truck/walking elk gun so I don't have haul the ground howitzer to the top of the mountain every weekend , it will be loaded with one bullet then left alone.

I'm wanting to put something together for the sole purpose of launching 200-225 gr 338 bullets in the 2600-2800 fps range.

Bigngreen,

I recently did some low velocity testing with 225 grain pills.
see...http://www.austargets.com/lowvel.htm

I found that a 1 : 10 twist works very well with 225gn Hornady Interbonds, at reduced loads from my .338WM, right out to 1000 yards.

Not quite so good with 225 gn SST's they seem to become unstable near transonic with the 1 : 10 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.