Revisiting custom multi caliber/switch barrel setup options

ZAR LRH

The topic about a multi caliber or switch rifle barrel rifles has been covered quite a few times on this forum and others. The reason why I'm starting a new thread is to hopefully get some additional insight. I've been out of the game for about 8 months, after immigrating, but need to start "relining" my safe from scratch. Considering the pros and cons (which there are) I believe that my current circumstance warrants further investigation into one multi caliber setup.

The main questions and they are more directed towards a custom build and not factory options, are:
  • Are there new developments on the horizon or perhaps in production that is worth noting concerning switch barrel?
  • Any true world experience and pros/cons (hopefully not influenced by external factors) from some of your guys that are running or ran similar setups that you are willing to share?
  • Some additional aspects and especially limitations worth considering?
My goal is to build a magazine feed canyon hunting/tactical rig in a 6.5 PRC with a lighter shorter barrel. But the curve ball, I would also like the systematically over time add calibers and barrel with the ability to easily travel setup. In addition to the PRC, I would like to add a magazine-fed bush caliber for bigger and dangerous game in thick bush, as well as a long heavy barrel in 300 Norma Mag for long-range plains game that can be single fed.

Based on the research that I've been doing the last few days, there are what I would find 4 options and please feel free to add if know about anything I may have missed anything. This excludes dedicated multi caliber factory setups such as the Blaser, Merkel, AI etc but as a result of the cost not a focus of the information that I'm after, but no problem referring to them.

The 4 options with some aspects based on my limited experience to get this going include:
  1. Using an action wrench and barrel vice to switch barrels.
    • Perhaps the most accuracy potential, but the extra weight of the tools and mounting of the vice when travelling is a consideration and disadvantage.
  2. Barrel nut system such as commonly used by Savage.
    • Also requires tools but not as much as the previous option 1.
  3. Locking luck such as the West Texas Ordnance Switch Lug and if you know about similar setups, please list them.
    • Convenient and less tools.
    • But a likely accuracy reduction and the potential issue of the pins partially having to keep the barrel in place
    • And perhaps a uneducated question around the additional load if the lug also needs to act as recoil lug for larger calibers.
  4. Actions such as the Terminus Zeus and Curtis Vector with an integrated set screw. Please, if you don't mind, list any other action with this feature that you know about.
    • Easiest but the durability of the set screw could become an issue down the line and they are only offered in short action

I don't knock any of the new setup styles or technology that's coming up with actions being faced and pre fits being ordered. Your first paragraph says Blaser all the way. There are custom barrel makers for Blaser setup also. You sound realistically like a hunter with travel needs, those Blaser rifles with a few barrel and scope combos fit just about anywhere. I have considered and still look all the time at Blaser setups. I'm a hunter, like to practice with what I hunt with, but it does get ridiculous at times if some of us add up everything in the safe. I keep trying to talk myself into one platform and multiple barrels, but still hasn't happened. I don't see cons to the company's styles you listed, I think they worked the bugs out long ago

Many options to switch barrels, Savage the least expensive.

You are wishing 3 very different rifles but have not considered the issue of stocks. Your wishlist contains 3 chambering that no one stock can cover. 6.5 PRC needs a light, comfortable bipod type stock. The big bore brush gun needs a classic fast handling (think double rifle) style stock. The long range 30 (PRC superior to Norma) requires a strong, heavy bipod adaptable varmint style.

It's not like you want 3 different varmint rifles using an 06' case head.

I won't even get into the optics.

I have the same needs and have 3 different rifles to meet them.

I was scared of the thread being sidetracked, but still appreciate your input to date.

howco, I'm starting from scratch after I sold all my rifles before immigrating. So I have the ideal opportunity to try optimize my safe based on my requirements and I feel that a single platform can meet my requirement for the time being, but also provide a good platform from which to expand. Yes you are correct about the Blaser being able to cover all my needs, but as previous mentioned cost is a big factor with them. I'm of the opinion that one can build a custom setup (being well aware of the bugs) for cheaper that what a blaser setup would cost you, or at least that is the case here. What custom barrel makers also produce barrels for blaser and are they cheaper compared to what Blaser charges?

6.5-300 BEE, thanks for the input on the savage barrel nut. I'm well aware of the constraints and limitations and that one will have sacrifice some ideals. Personally, I'm not worried about stocks, but do understand that this could potentially be a big issue for some. You have stated the ideal stock configurations for each application. Both the PRC and NM have pros and cons when compared, but I'm struggling to see how the PRC is superior. QD mounts can easily address the challenge around optics or even one of the never generation optics with a wide magnification range. It would be ideal to have 3 different rifles, but there is a cost associated with this, especially if its 3 customs setups with high end optics.

I use a barrel/action shouldered setup on Win Model 70's for myself, which I limit to 3 barrels. Even with precise machining of the barrel shoulder, the POI changes between barrels, tracking zero becomes difficult after 3 barrels in my experience.
I also run the same set up on Rem 700's for my comp guns, but the lugs are swapped.out for .250" thickness and are pinned to the action. Picatinny rails are mandatory for my set up and are also pinned and permanently bedded to the action. These rifles are also single shot, mags aren't allowed here in F-class.
I DO NOT use a barrel vise, each barrel is 'spun' on by hand, they tighten with a snap when done with speed and never work loose. It takes a good twist to un-do them afterwards and even moreso after shooting them. Always use ant-seize on the threads and you will never have a problem.

Cheers.

I would say the Terminus Zeus should be your action of choice but considering your broad range of cartridge needs you really should be building on a long action ... would love to see the Terminus Helios add the set screw functionality!

If budget is a concern I'd buy a Tikka in 7 / 300 mag, add the WTO switchlug you mentioned and start adding barrels. The switchlug accuracy potential has been proven over and over again so I don't think there is much of a concern there and switching barrels is simple with no big or heavy tooling required ... and I think you can do barrel swaps without removing the action from the stock if I remember right, which is nice.

In my opinion, the best option is the American Rifle Company Barlok.

There was some hubbub about it and zeros moving if the barrel gets hit hard but it turned out that it was only a problem if your (shouldered) barrel was cut wrong or you didn't install it according to instructions.

If you do it right it is as stable as a barrel torqued with 200 ft-lbs but the only tool you need is an allen wrench. No action wrench, no barrel vise but it puts real tension on the barrel threads.

I have used a Nucleus style Barlok on a Savage and notched/bedded my scope rail to locate it instead of pinning the lug and it creates a recoil lug for the scope rail.

I'm not going to use it as a switch barrel setup but I could.

This setup does not require any type of receiver machining, it can use a Savage prefit, Remage prefit or a shouldered barrel if the shoulder is cut back to fit it properly.

The notched and bedded scope rail with Nucleus style recoil lug is easy and better than a plain Savage/Remington style Barlok recoil lug but ARC makes both styles if you don't want to use Nucleus style for some reason.

I don't know what the set screw actions do to secure a barrel but the "switchlug" clamp type doesn't put any tension on the barrel threads, they just clamp it. That's very insecure compared to the Barlok.

You need to know what you are looking at and the Barloc works as a jackscrew, as far as I know, the others are just small clamps. Some of them require more tools to do less too.

Well I was going to write about the Barloc but Buck Fever beat me to it. I have them on my three customs (M5 & M7 Mausingfield's and a Nucleus) and the only issue I've ever had was on a 30" Heavy Palma barrel chambered right when the Barloc came out.

The issue is that the shoulder was cut about .006" too deep which does not allow the Barloc to tension the threads properly leading to the shifting zero issue. With the barrel nut version I have never had an issue and changing barrels takes only a couple minutes and a Borka torque 90 in-lb limiter. Plus you never have to remove the action from the stock.

Depends on the Blaser you're looking at, but price wise they can be very similar to a custom multi barrel bolt rifle.

This is roughly what I have in mind for a build or relatively close without being allowed the options of selecting things like custom trigger, twist rates etc and in this instance a 6.5PRC.

BLASER R8 LONG RANGE GRS STOCK RECEIVER R8_Long_Range_GRS
BLASER R8 BOLT HOUSING RH TAC KNOB R8_bolt_HR_tactical
BLASER R8 STANDARD BARREL 375 H&H MAG WITH SIGHTS R8_BR5S_375_25
BLASER R8 .300 NORMA MAGNUM MATCH BARREL A0814339 A0814339-Blaser
BLASER R8 STANDARD BARREL 6.5X284 R8_BR5N_6.5x284_23
BLASER R8 LAPUA MAGNUM RIGHT BOLT HEAD R8_bolt_LA_R
BLASER R8 MAGNUM RIGHT CARBON BOLT HEAD R8_bolt_MA_R_DL
Blaser Fixed Picatinny Rail

Selecting cheaper options in some instance and potentially also still missing some parts to complete the package - $10k.

I would say the Terminus Zeus should be your action of choice but considering your broad range of cartridge needs you really should be building on a long action ... would love to see the Terminus Helios add the set screw functionality!

If budget is a concern I'd buy a Tikka in 7 / 300 mag, add the WTO switchlug you mentioned and start adding barrels. The switchlug accuracy potential has been proven over and over again so I don't think there is much of a concern there and switching barrels is simple with no big or heavy tooling required ... and I think you can do barrel swaps without removing the action from the stock if I remember right, which is nice.

SteellBanger, Joel has already been very helpful in this regard and they are not planning a long action, but I agree with you. I must admit that the SwitchLug is pretty tempting. I have a Tikka in the back of my head but the Lapua boltface is a challenge in this instance and perhaps a little easier to address in a custom action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts