Switch barrel setup - change caliber

Inge

Reference is made to this tread, where a switch barrel setup was adviced/discussed: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/1000yd-range-7mm-vs-338-lapua-27876/index2.html

I'm looking for a rifle to use in long range hunting with a suitable caliber, and the tread above gave me the idea to have one rifle with two pipe-caliber (and bolt). This could give me the possibility to use the same rifle to long range hunting and to practice with a "cheaper" caliber. If the change has to be done by a gunsmith, it won't be a practical or economical solution.

I'm looking at a 338 rifle with the possibility to change between 338 and 30-06, whenever I want.

Is this option available and advisable for a Tikka T3 Lite (SS) rifle?

Regards
Inge

I was going to build a switch-barrel rifle, but I abandoned the idea after I did some thinking.

Also, my smith made a good point. He said, "I've never felt the need to make one for myself, the reason being is because once I get a rifle that shoots, I don't want to have to pull it apart until I have to rebarrel it..."

And that is a very sound point he made. And why I decided just to go ahead and buy cheap 700 ADL, SPS, and BDL rifles for their actions, because you can pick them up really cheap used. Might as well have a gun in each caliber you want. :D

Also, for what you want, .338 Lapua and .30-06 have massively different bolt face diameters. You would have to buy 2 different bolts, as well. And those aren't cheap. You might as well have 2 different rifles.

However, I see you are in Norway, and I know yall have a 6 rifle limit, but are unlimited as to how many calibers you can own. You might be better off dropping the money on a Blaser R8 or something of that nature, that is purposely designed and built as a switch-barrel rifle.

Or, if you can find it, a Thompson Center Encore rifle. You can buy barrels in just about any caliber, even wildcat calibers, online, already properly head-spaced and ready to swap on your rifle.

However, I see you are in Norway, and I know yall have a 6 rifle limit, but are unlimited as to how many calibers you can own. You might be better off dropping the money on a Blaser R8 or something of that nature, that is purposely designed and built as a switch-barrel rifle.

:D You know what you're talking about! Yes, going the way Blaser R8, Mauser 03 or Schultz & Larsen 97 Victory would be much more effective and easier at the same time. lightbulb

check out the Thompson center demension its a switchbarrel I hear they are pretty accurate and hold there zero when u switch barrels

:D You know what you're talking about! Yes, going the way Blaser R8, Mauser 03 or Schultz & Larsen 97 Victory would be much more effective and easier at the same time. lightbulb
Well, I'd like to say I just happened to know that information...But I can't take that much credit, I did learn it from our conversations a while back. :D

I personally love the idea of a switch barrel gun. My CZ 455 has .22lr and .17 HMR barrels and I swap between them all the time. Hoping to get an action wrench and barrel vice and try swapping my .308 and a .22-250 barrel. I think it makes perfect sense to have one great trigger, a stock your used to and spend more money on a single scope than two lower quality scopes. Swapping between the rimfire barrels the zero has been very repeatable. I can understand that a screw in center fire barrel might be different but still something that's doable I imagine. I understand its pretty common for bench rest guys to have multiple calibers chambered for their rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts