Switch barrel setup - change caliber

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Inge, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Inge

Inge New Member

Reference is made to this tread, where a switch barrel setup was adviced/discussed: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/1000yd-range-7mm-vs-338-lapua-27876/index2.html

I'm looking for a rifle to use in long range hunting with a suitable caliber, and the tread above gave me the idea to have one rifle with two pipe-caliber (and bolt). This could give me the possibility to use the same rifle to long range hunting and to practice with a "cheaper" caliber. If the change has to be done by a gunsmith, it won't be a practical or economical solution.

I'm looking at a 338 rifle with the possibility to change between 338 and 30-06, whenever I want.

Is this option available and advisable for a Tikka T3 Lite (SS) rifle?

Regards
    Inge

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I was going to build a switch-barrel rifle, but I abandoned the idea after I did some thinking.

Also, my smith made a good point. He said, "I've never felt the need to make one for myself, the reason being is because once I get a rifle that shoots, I don't want to have to pull it apart until I have to rebarrel it..."

And that is a very sound point he made. And why I decided just to go ahead and buy cheap 700 ADL, SPS, and BDL rifles for their actions, because you can pick them up really cheap used. Might as well have a gun in each caliber you want. :D

Also, for what you want, .338 Lapua and .30-06 have massively different bolt face diameters. You would have to buy 2 different bolts, as well. And those aren't cheap. You might as well have 2 different rifles.

However, I see you are in Norway, and I know yall have a 6 rifle limit, but are unlimited as to how many calibers you can own. You might be better off dropping the money on a Blaser R8 or something of that nature, that is purposely designed and built as a switch-barrel rifle.

Or, if you can find it, a Thompson Center Encore rifle. You can buy barrels in just about any caliber, even wildcat calibers, online, already properly head-spaced and ready to swap on your rifle.

3. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

:D You know what you're talking about! Yes, going the way Blaser R8, Mauser 03 or Schultz & Larsen 97 Victory would be much more effective and easier at the same time. lightbulb

4. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

check out the Thompson center demension its a switchbarrel I hear they are pretty accurate and hold there zero when u switch barrels

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Well, I'd like to say I just happened to know that information...But I can't take that much credit, I did learn it from our conversations a while back. :D

6. davkrat

davkrat Well-Known Member

I personally love the idea of a switch barrel gun. My CZ 455 has .22lr and .17 HMR barrels and I swap between them all the time. Hoping to get an action wrench and barrel vice and try swapping my .308 and a .22-250 barrel. I think it makes perfect sense to have one great trigger, a stock your used to and spend more money on a single scope than two lower quality scopes. Swapping between the rimfire barrels the zero has been very repeatable. I can understand that a screw in center fire barrel might be different but still something that's doable I imagine. I understand its pretty common for bench rest guys to have multiple calibers chambered for their rifles.