Reviews on the Steiner Predator 4 compared to others

xFREDRICKx

Currently in my inventory i have one of the last klassik 6x42 (30mm tube) german made S&B before they stopped them for the US market and only availabe for the European market on special order. i have a klassik 3-12x42 L3M reticle. and a couple Swaro Z3 scopes. Had a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10 that was great but other than the tunneling effect on lower power the Klassik 3-12 outclassed it in glass in my opinion. So i got rid of it. Now that i have went over my most recent optics, i am buying my wife a new rifle (Mauser M12 that i found). I am looking for opinions on the Steiner Ranger 4 2.5-10x42 for it. I have only looked through some steiner nockers and the p4xi that i will also be buying for one of my AR's.

Does anyone have any first hand reviews/opinions of the predator 4 series over the S&B Klassik's and Swaro Z3/Z5?

Great glass, have compared my buds 6-24 p4 to a few of my top scopes, meaning a zco, an older 6-24 zeiss/hensoldt, and one of my nx8's and glass is definitely there as is fov, was very impressed in that aspect.

Great glass, have compared my buds 6-24 p4 to a few of my top scopes, meaning a zco, an older 6-24 zeiss/hensoldt, and one of my nx8's and glass is definitely there as is fov, was very impressed in that aspect.
Thank you Casscade. good to know. I don't get the Steiners decisions. Meaning the Preadator series is made in Germany for the US market, however the Ranger series is made in the US for the European/World market. Based off of a steiner rep i talked to and asked him. Everything else is the same between them besides a couple of objective dimensions.

I have the 6-24 it's a keeper! . I had the opportunity to compare it's glass to Swarovski z6 and 8 also to a night Force shv Leupold vx6 and tract toric. It's as good as the best of the bunch!!! I don't know yet about durability and tracking as I don't dial!

Ok. I'm sorry, but I have 2 Steiner P4 and it is NOWHERE near a Swaro Z6, not even in the same world as a ZCO and at best is equivalent to a VX5HD. I'm not sure what others are seeing.

thanks for the replies. i know a lot has to do with each persons eyes. My father in law just bought a swaro z6. he fell in love with swaro after i gifted him a Z5 years ago as well os a pair of 8x42 SLC knockers. looking forward to look through that as well to compare. he likes my S&B's but thy are heavy things. @shooters if it is as good as the vx5HD i think the price point with Europtics sale with them is a hell of deal then.
@tribb i am not a dialer either, i will work with the holds and see where each mark would be at with that reticle it has. i like it a lot from what i have just seen on pictures.

I have a pair of Steiner predator 4 6-24 power. Fantastic scope for the money. I also have a couple Swarovski's, several Zeiss a Schmidt&Bender and Leica! I like the Steiner as a good rugged scope you can depend on. They are kinda large and bulky but feel like you could park a tank on them. Hold zero's great. And seem to return to zero repeatedly.
Swarovski is a wonderful scope, sleek light and crystal clear. I had one take a tumble down a rockslide in Co. I thought for sure it was toasted but when I found it and made sure the barrel was clear it remained dead on at a tree. It wasn't a nice fall either it was a barrel to recoil pad summersualt for 100 feet or so.
Zeiss are about the same quality but the V4 doesn't seem to have a lot of elevation adjustment.
Schmidt&Bender reminds me of the Steiners but I haven't mounted it yet.
Leica is my favorite so far all I can say is wow. Only mounted this year on muzzleloader and taken to 500 yards but wow. A Nightforce shooting gentleman was at the range and he even commented unreal!!
Leopold well I've commented on their product in the past and no since gumbeating a dead horse, I'll never own another. Got one in box still from warranty repair seems common to me but I'm just leaving it to collect dust.

As someone who has had negative experiences with Steiner's customer service and the loads of other people who have experienced the same thing with everything from their optics to their laser illuminators I would be extremely cautious purchasing anything from them. They are notoriously bad and I had to send my GS3 back twice and they still didn't fix the problem (despite phone calls, exhaustive descriptions, and pictures) and they wanted me to send it back again. My DBAL-D2 also looks like a child attached it to the mount it sits so cockeyed. Their "lifetime warranty" is not the same in practice as other companies that actually stand behind their products. Look through all of the posts on this forum and you will find that no one ever recommends Steiner. I don't intend this simply to bash them, but as a cautionary tale to educate others. There are plenty of other great brands that deliver both quality products and services that would value your business.

Last edited:

Recent Posts