Steiner Predator Extreme scope

OLI62

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to run one of these scopes yet and what their thoughts were on it? In particular was hoping to get some feedback on the S-1 reticle.

I've played with them at the last SHOT Show. The optics are good to very good, certainly at or possibly slightly above a Zeiss Conquest in terms of resolution and contrast.

The S1 reticle is similar (possibly identical) to the Burris E1 reticle, which I have in a 2.5-7x scope. The E1 is one of the best BDC reticles I've seen. The vertical lines have a variable spacing that matches many ballistic profiles fairly well. I use the power ring to calibrate the reticle to my load. I consider it to be a great system for shots up to 500 yds on big game, which is long enough for me. Windage holdoffs are minimal but better than nothing.

In low light the thin BDC reticle features nearly disappear, leaving you with a visible plex reticle. In such low light you'll be limited to shorter ranges anyway. The 30 mm tubes provide at least +/-30 MOA of elevation adjustment, although that seems overkill for a BDC reticle.

Depending on your receiver and base, this scope may not be an option for you. The front part of the scope tube is very short and only works well with Weaver type rails, or possibly other bases on some short actions. On long actions with integral bases or rotary dovetail bases, the scope may not fit at all. If it does fit there will be very little adjustment range for optimizing eye relief.

I generally think of these scopes as working well with Weaver or Picatinny bases, and not much else. If that's what you have and you like BDC reticles, then you should be in hog heaven with these scopes.

FWIW, I understand these scopes are made in the Burris factory in CO. The Steiner-Binoculars.com website is slowly adding information on the riflescopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.