Reusing a 308 barrel

gerpwaller, DO NOT underestmate FIRELAPPING as an option. I use the NECO kit, and even on my .262 tight neck 6mm PPC, it has been outstanding at reducing group size. It might slightly lengthen the throat, however in my observations, it is so negligible to group size that it isn't a concern. It also worked its magic on a 300 Win Sendero that should have been shooting MUCH TIGHTER. :cool::cool::cool:

Hey Guys,

I was able to pick up a heavy contour spiral fluted bartlein barrel for free chambered in 308. It is shot out (groups have opened from 0.5 moa to 1.5 moa) and round count is estimated to be in the 11k range. It was taken off a rifle to be replaced with a proof barrel. Would it be worthwhile either cutting off an inch from the breech to re-chamber it in 308 or re-chamber it as is in 30-06 for a target rifle? My understanding (which may be way off) is that when a barrel is shot out it's typically worst in the throat. Is this correct or would I be wasting my time trying to re-chamber this barrel to get some more life out of it again?

Cheers
11,000 rounds!? She's toast! I bore scoped one with about 5,000 thru it that had quit shooting. It's owner wanted the bedding changed. I declined the work. Re-bedding wasn't going to fix a shot-out barrel. It was fire cracked from throat to within a couple of inches of the muzzle.

11,000 rounds!? She's toast! I bore scoped one with about 5,000 thru it that had quit shooting. It's owner wanted the bedding changed. I declined the work. Re-bedding wasn't going to fix a shot-out barrel. It was fire cracked from throat to within a couple of inches of the muzzle.

Call JES Reboring, or send it to me.:D :cool: ;)

For what it is worth I'll share a little story, a buddy some years back purchased a heavy barrel 220 swift at a gun show with a 1.250 cylinder tube, maker was unknown, he was told the gun was a real shooter, one can only guess just what that meant, since I had a bore scope he brought it to me, it looked pretty sorry, throat washed out and badly fire checked, the gun grouped about a inch with several types of ammo, it was decided it needed a new tube, that old barrel was 30 inches long, I cut 6 inches of the chambered end and fitted it to a blue printed rem model 7 action, I chambered it to 22 rem Br with a standard neck, I recrowned the barrel and fitted it to a six enterprise thumbnails stock, at 22 inches this gun shot just about everything under 4 tenths, 40 gr noslers bt's to 65 gr bergers, today this it's one of my favorite squirrel guns, after 3000 rounds it will hold its shots to a 1/4 if I do my part, I cut the chamber stub in half, one could see the old rifling but even with a rental pick i could feel the old rifling, I'd say cut back rechamber and recrown.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.