Reusing a 308 barrel

gerpwaller

Hey Guys,

I was able to pick up a heavy contour spiral fluted bartlein barrel for free chambered in 308. It is shot out (groups have opened from 0.5 moa to 1.5 moa) and round count is estimated to be in the 11k range. It was taken off a rifle to be replaced with a proof barrel. Would it be worthwhile either cutting off an inch from the breech to re-chamber it in 308 or re-chamber it as is in 30-06 for a target rifle? My understanding (which may be way off) is that when a barrel is shot out it's typically worst in the throat. Is this correct or would I be wasting my time trying to re-chamber this barrel to get some more life out of it again?

Cheers

Depends on how much it costs to rechamber and recrown. If you are doing it, have fun. If you are paying, buy a good takeoff or new barrel. I've made tons of tooling out of old barrels

Last edited:
11,000 rounds down the tube?
I'd say she's pretty much a tomato stake... (as far as competition use goes)

Depends on how much it costs to rechamber and recrown. If you are doing it, have fun. If you are paying, buy a good takeoff or new barrel. I've made tons or tooling out of old barrels
My friend Does the work for access to land to shoot on (he's the one who procured the barrel) so the cost of the work isn't an issue. We could even cut a bit and rechamber it in 308 and put it on an existing target rifle to see how it does. I'f I use it I'm thinking of going 30-06 just to be different (plus I'm trying to build the 30-06 family from 25-06 to 35 Whelen).

11,000 rounds down the tube?
I'd say she's pretty much a tomato stake... (as far as competition use goes)

I'm not really concerned about the last few 10th's. If it could be a 3/4" gun for banging steel on the farm I'd be happy.

Well, you'll never know till you try it. Keep it as a .308 though, with a match reamer and try the small primer Lapua 308 brass.

My friend Does the work for access to land to shoot on (he's the one who procured the barrel) so the cost of the work isn't an issue. We could even cut a bit and rechamber it in 308 and put it on an existing target rifle to see how it does. I'f I use it I'm thinking of going 30-06 just to be different (plus I'm trying to build the 30-06 family from 25-06 to 35 Whelen).
A 30-06 reamer won't clean up a 308 chamber without cutting off some. The 308 is fatter in the shoulder than the 30-06 taper at that point.

Hey Guys,
Hey Guys,

I was able to pick up a heavy contour spiral fluted bartlein barrel for free chambered in 308. It is shot out (groups have opened from 0.5 moa to 1.5 moa) and round count is estimated to be in the 11k range. It was taken off a rifle to be replaced with a proof barrel. Would it be worthwhile either cutting off an inch from the breech to re-chamber it in 308 or re-chamber it as is in 30-06 for a target rifle? My understanding (which may be way off) is that when a barrel is shot out it's typically worst in the throat. Is this correct or would I be wasting my time trying to re-chamber this barrel to get some more life out of it again?

Cheers
If it was determined that the lands and groves were still good, then you could build yourself a nice 30-284 wildcat. The .284 cartridge contour will clean up everything and you will have a nice little hotrod of an efficient round. It would meet/exceed 30-06 performance.

If your lands and grooves are a mess, then consider re-rifling it to .338 cal, and build a .338 Federal or 338-06. You're starting with a nice piece of steel but you will need to take a path less traveled to make it live again.

bon chance.

I'd cut off the shank and make a 30-06 then. Might shoot fine

I didn't keep accurate records but I've been shooting my PSS since 1991 and the conservative round count is 10k. Even with VLD's seated to box mag length it shoots 3/8", which is not it's best groups. It only got hot once or twice during training. The rest of the rounds were just range time and hunting. Bore scope it to check the throat and guesstimate how much needs to be cut off. Then you can make a decision if it's worth it or not. If it's a 1-10" or faster I'd lean towards the 30-06 and 215gr Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.