Retumbo - Powder temp V's velocity

Topshot

Has anyone got any data on the effect temperature has on Retumbo powder with regards to muzzle velocity?

My chronograph is a bit unreliable so I am looking for some help.

Just want to get a feel for how sensitive this powder is to changes in temperature and to what effect. Faster, slower, magnitude?

Also any info on H1000 would be great as well.

Thanks

I have done some work with my 6.5x284 loaded with 140vld's and 59 gr of Retumbo. My Chrono tests seem to indicate a 15-25 fps velocity difference from 25F to 80F. I am not completely confident of chrono data especially when testing on a 25F day and comparing to data aquired back when it was 80F. But, this appears to correlate well when I plug my baseline data into my ballistic program and do some actual field testing at extended ranges at the actual temperatures. Bottom line is that I get pretty close when I plug temperature changes into my ballistic program. Just my experience.

Hogden claims that any powder with extreme on it won't be effected by temp. Both those powders are labeled as extreme. I have not tested this but I've seen guys online test it by using a cooler to freeze some rounds on a hot day and their test showed no difference. It was the guy from long range pursuit tv show.

Go to longrangepursuit.com and in there tech or do it yourself section there is a test of this you can watch. Prettygood stuff.

I contacted ADI who make this stuff. This is the reply that I got below, for what it is worth.
I do know that they test in 24 inch barrels so that may have some effect?
My results with my rifle seem to indicate a change of 25 fps so this is within the range that they state but over a smaller temperature range.

It is interesting to see that they start their testing at -0 degrees. Strange things happen at the freezing point of water so a step change at this temperature might also be possible?

Looks like more testing required with my rifles.

Thank you for your enquiry of 7/12/2011 with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting
powders.
ADI propellants have a built-in technology which provides superb ballistic thermal
insensitivity. The change in velocity over the temperature range of -0°C to 50°C is
generally less than 30 fps. Unfortunately, we have no data measured in the particular
firearms you mention: we perform our testing using test barrels in a controlled,
laboratory environment. The components used will also effect the ballistic thermal
insensitivity.
Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to
our website at www.adi-powders.com.au or our 5th edition handloaders' guide for more
information, warnings and reloading safety.
We thank you for using ADI Sporting Powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.