Retumbo in the 7mm STW

jwcrabb

Hey Guys,
Anybody out there ever develop any loads for the 7mm STW using Retumbo. The only loading data I can find is on the Hodgdon website.
Sure would like to hear from someone with experience. Thanks, Jack

160 Accubond
Federal 215m
Win Brass
80.3 Retumbo

140 Accubond
Federal 215m
Win Brass
86. Retumbo

Notes: Both these loads are safe in my rifle, but may not be in all rifles.Start a few grains under these loads and work up to be safe.

Retumbo has been the absolute best powder for my 7STW. While everyone I talk to has had great luck with H870 and H1000 I have never gotten a good load with it. I have use Retumbo behind everything from 139gr Hornady SST's to 168 Bergers. Before I give any data I must give a disclaimer. My STW seems to have just the right combination that allows me to go a little higher than others. I can usually work up a little hotter load than most folks so by no means should you view my data as anymore than the very top of the spectrum. The 139gr SST load topped at 86gr of Retumbo. 160gr TSX's I had a load of 82gr and it was pushing them a very consistant 3326fps out of a 26" factory bbl into 1/2" groups. Right now I'm shooting 79 gr behind a 168gr berger with good success. I haven't gotten a chance to get that load in front of a chrono yet so I haven't played with working up any further. Again in my rifle these loads are fine but most seem to want a little less powder. FWIW Berger sent me a starting load for the 168 gr VLD at 74gr and a max load to 78.1. Please use this data carefully and always start low!! Good luck with the Retumbo, it is my go to powder with my STW. The only one I haven't tried yet is US869.

Thanks Guys,
I cooked up four loads using the 140 Nosler Accubond. I started with 83 grns. and topped out at 85 grns. I'll shoot these and see how they group, but I think I could go up another grain and still be ok. I want to get the 140's dialed in before I start with the 160 Accubonds. I appreciate the help...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.